• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv motor upgrade????

jwaller

I just purchased a M998 and it's got a bad motor. will the 6.5 fit in place of the 6.2 or does it not make a big differance.

I know the later trucks had 6.5 turbo's but I was hoping to fix it on the cheap for now and upgrade to big duramax power down the road.

are all the brackets, accessories the same between the 6.2 and 6.5?

TedG

I have an extra new 6.5 non turbo engine wire harness and nos body harness if you are interested when you do the swap. PM me if you wish.

Regards,

jwaller

TedG said:
I have an extra new 6.5 non turbo engine wire harness and nos body harness if you are interested when you do the swap. PM me if you wish.

Regards,
are there any differences?

what are the rated power differences between the 6.2 and 6.5 non turbo?

is there any difference between the 6.5 turbo and non turbo motors? other than IP setting change?

TedG

6.5turbos have different:
heads
intake manifolds
exhaust manifolds
turbo lol
wire harness
rpm sensor
usually a serpentine belt setup

I don't know the power diffs off hand.
i am sure someone one the forum knows this....Dilvoy?!

dilvoy

Turbo engines will have lower compression pistons and oil cooled pistons. Also When the 6.5 came out in the civi world they went to a serpenting belt system and they have a water pump that is rotated in the opposite direction of a V belt engine. The 6.5's that GEP built and assembled as engine assys to replace a 6.2, not to be confused with 6.5's the were part of a fleet upgrade to the serpenting belt setup, use the old 6.2 water pump and V belt pulleys. I don't know the exact power ratings, but when AMG had both N/A 6.5's and turbo 6.5's the Turbos had 40 hp more. This is with the DS4 Ingector pump, which is the electronic Injector Pump, that is not used in the Humvees. That rating is at factory specs and those are conservative. You could always turn up the fuel rate and have lots more power, but chance overheating the pistons.

jwaller

I'll qnswer my own question. did some googling and found this

Displacement: 6.5L (396ci)
Bore & Stroke: 4.05x3.82 inches
HP @ RPM: 190 @ 3400
Torque @ RPM: 385 @ 1700
Compression Ratio: 21.3:1
Injection: Indirect, Mech/Electronic, Stanadyne Rotary DS-4
Aspiration: Wastegated turbo
Max EGT: 1250max/950 sustained*

Displacement: 6.2L (379ci)
Bore & Stroke: 3.98x3.80 inches
HP @ RPM: 135 @ 3600
Torque @ RPM: 240 @ 2000
Compression Ratio: 21.3
Injection: Indirect, Mechanical, Stanadyne Rotary DB-2
Aspiration: Natural
Max EGT: 1100max/900 sustained*

Displacement: 6.6L (396ci)
Bore & Stroke: 4.01x3.86 inches
HP @ RPM:300 @ 3100 (’01-03)
310 @ 3000 (’04)
Torque @ RPM: 520 @ 1800 (’01-03)
590 @ 1600 (v040
Compression Ratio: 17.5:1
Injection: Direct, common rail Bosch
Aspiration: Wastegated turbo
Max EGT: 1250max/1050 sustained*

check here for more facts..... http://www.oramagazine.com/archive/2004/08-august/0103-tech-finesse-2.asp

Melvinitis

Okay, so the next step, when he wants to get the duramax, will it fit? I want to do the same (duramax) to my M1028, will it fit in that? Will the trans and everything fit without major changes?

jwaller

when I do the duramax I'm going to go with the 4L80E aas well. the duramax will fit bc thats what is in the H1 Alpha trucks. much better combo all around.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a 6.5 TD in my Suburban and the 6.2 in the M1009 I know the milage is about the same for the two even when the CUCV only has a three speed and the Suburban has a four speed. What is it that gains so much horsepower and torque for the Duramax? I do like my L480E in the Suburban and as much as push button four wheel drive is antethema to many it sure is nice in a snow storm and has not given me any trouble out to 113,000 miles.

Tankjeepman

Hmmwv motor upgrade

Common rail injection system uses a high pressure system with computer controled injectors. This results in significant increases in HP, torque, milage, reduced noise, smell and pollution.

jwaller

RE: Hmmwv motor upgrade

the duramax is also much much quieter and with aftermarket programmers you can add 150hp and 250lb's of tq over stock with the push of a few buttons.

one up

Or you could do a one up on the DMAX and put real commercial engine such as a B series mechanical Cummins in it. Then you would have the longevity that an inline diesel provides, a better exhaust note than a V8 diesel and none of the electrical mess to deal with that comes with any modern common rail diesel. There was a guy who did the conversion on the web a few years back- pretty slick.

CCATLETT1984

if you go with a duramax you NEED to go with the allison transmission, the 4l80e wont handle the torque output from the engine for very long.

re: fitting one in a CUCV
you can make any engine fit in any vehicle with enough work, but its no where near a "drop-in" upgrade for the duramax to fit. major work on the firewall would have to be done to clear it, and then crossmembers changed/modified, and a suspension lift so you dont put the front axle into the bottom of the engine on a bump.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a new member just posted up that has a Dmax powered H1. Bet he'd be worth chatting with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks