• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Removal from Data Plates

Opie

What's my best bet for paint removal from data plates located outside of the cab?

My axle and van body data plates have been painted over numerous times and the old trick of using a razor knife to get under the bottom layer and flake off the old layers isn't working well.

Opie

DR, What's the NSN for Grease, Elbow? :)

I figured that'd be the route to go...wanted to ask the Forum.

Thanks!

When removing old truck lettering (enamel) for customers I use Easy Off Oven Cleaner. NSN# - Original. (Lemon flavor is for jet boats.)

I mask off the area to be removed and then spray full strength until fully saturated. If removing a small area, spray into a 3oz Dixie cup and then use a Q-tip swab to rub liberally onto the affected area.
After the sodium hydroxide (lye) in it has done it's magic (roughly 5 minutes), use a rigid plastic squeege (auto body filler squeege works great) for removal.
Hot solvents like Lacquer thinner or Acetone may cut the paint on the data plate.
Go slow and good luck.

Opie

Thanks Bruce! I'm more interested in the info on the plate, as my truck was apparently "Frankensteined." The dash dataplate is for an M35A2, so the van body must have come from elsewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks