• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT SHOULD I USE AS A ENGINE/TRANNY TRANSPLANT?

Sarge

I bought a 1992 Dodge 1 ton with the Cummins 6BT turbo-diesel to stick in one of my 715's. I wanted to make that 715 a daily driver and I figured that the 6BT was powerful enough and economical enough to use. Now, where did I put my shoehorn? I'm probably going to need a BFH to use on the firewall. When I get around to it, I plan on photographing the entire process for Steel Soldiers.
Will, your photo looks like an old 6 cylinder turbo diesel, but what?
-Sarge

Barrman

The 572 will work just fine. I thought I answered that in another thread already. But, unless you just want to throw money away, a turbo diesel would probably be a better choice. Wait, what are you planning to use the truck for?

Daily driver, trails, parades, trailer pulling, think of anything non extreme here all would be best with a diesel, overdrive transmission and Michelin tires.

Truck pulls, mud bogs and rock climbing are a few things the 572 would be better at.

I have a 396 big Block in mine, NV4500 transmission and Michelin XZL 11.00-16 tires on it. I daily drive it to work, drive trails, tow trailers and put it in parades. 10 mpg towing other M715's and about 12 without the trailer. Since I still have the NP200 t-case, I am limited to 54 mph so all milage figures are at that speed. Guys that have put in 4Bt's, 6.2's, 6.5's adn 6BT engines don't have to worry about off angle climbs like I do and they get 18-35 mpg on the highway depending on the set up.

It is your truck, so do what you want with it. I just hate to see that $14,000 engine put in something that will never really use all those horses.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A 350 and sm465 is the most popular swap. I think using a deuce trans is a better option. This is your 3rd question that has lots of info for us to help you. Are you having trouble typing what your thinking?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge, It is a 6B, it was in a forklift..I think. It has a Bosch VE pump, so it would work for an automotive engine...like in a truck. A friend of mine gets scrap contracts form the gov. This engine has basically no hours on it. It was on an island out in the pacific by Guam I think. All of the stuff is so rusted, it looks terrible. He goe an International truck with 500 or so miles on it but it was just rusted through. He has a few 4Bs, a C with a Bosch A pump, this6B and 2 NHC 250s he wants to sell. I am checking on the core prices thruogh work..I think Diesel ReCon will take them..all but the 250s Anyone need one? I think 1 runs and the other is parts.

Sarge

715 transplants

Thank you Will, I did not recognize it under all that gunk!
About V8 swaps, I have seen Barrman's setup, it is superbly done.
Here is the perfect motor for a 715, it is an air-cooled Deutz Diesel V12 twin-turbo. Unfortunately, I don't think it will even fit in the 715 bed.
It is my second favourite motor, right after the Rolls-Royce Merlin.
-Sarge

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks