• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a cross country trip...

Crash_AF

Well, with the price of shipping and all, I'm considering driving my new (to me.. LOL) 816 back to Colorado from NJ... (1780 miles) But I have a couple of questions...

First off, who lives on the I-70 corridor and would be willing to help out if Murphy hitches a ride?

Second, does anyone need anything hauled this way and would chip in to help fuel costs?

I would be making the trip in about 2 weeks if I decide to do it.

Later,
Joe

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can offer assistance of some sort. I don't have a big truck yet but I have a place to park just in case.

I live about 11 miles off I70.

If it helps just PM me.

steve

jwaller

you should be able to find a shipper for about the cost of fuel. I have a truck coming back from NM to SC and it's far cheaper for me to hire the job out than to take the week off of work, ,travel 2000 miles and drive at an average of about 40 mph for 1000 miles.

and all that is hoping this older than dirt truck thats been sitting for years doesn't develop some massive problem.

now. once you get it home and done a lot of maint. then sure go for a drive. I don't bat an eye to jump in my 818 and go 1000 miles. but not a truck that I haven't laid hands and tools on for quite a while.

Crash_AF

jwaller said:
you should be able to find a shipper for about the cost of fuel. I have a truck coming back from NM to SC and it's far cheaper for me to hire the job out than to take the week off of work, ,travel 2000 miles and drive at an average of about 40 mph for 1000 miles.
Cheapest shipper I can find is $3278 (or $1.84 a mile). Time off is not a problem and fuel would be (assuming 4 MPG and $4 a gallon) $1780 plus lodging and airfare to NJ.

jwaller said:
and all that is hoping this older than dirt truck thats been sitting for years doesn't develop some massive problem.
The 816 is not coming from GL but from a private party. It is purported to be 100% capable of the trip.

Does this new info change any opinions?

Thanks for the offer Steve, I'll keep you informed if I require any services.

Later,
Joe

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I-70 through OH should have pretty good SS coverage. Give us fine tuned dates and times, and we'll do what we can as you pass through the Buckeye state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks