• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Conversions

davidkroberts

I am debating changing out my running Detroit Deisel 353 for a Cummings 4BT 4 cylinder turbo charged. Im thinking about using an industrial 24V set-up remanufactured from Cummins. Has anyone ever used this motor in your Military Vehicle and if so what do you think about the transition.

Militoy

I haven't ever seen one in a Gama Goat - but we use them in our Scorpion rock crawlers, and at 130HP, and over 400 foot-pounds of torque at 1200 RPM, how could you go wrong? Vibration at idle will likely be as high as the 353 Detroit - but expect a big decrease in noise if you switch to the 4-stroke 4B Cummins. (scorpion4x4.com)

davidkroberts

i was more concerned with the RPM rating using the 4bt over the 353. im not sure what the RPMs are going to rev to at highway speeds. do you have any idea?

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KY Goat guy seeks conference

Hi David my name is Bill Kagin III from Winchester,Ky I helped Howard Hammonds Strip-out M-561's & M-151's a few years back and I'm interested in getting in touch with you to trade parts and info.
If you are interested please contact me at the following.

Bill Kagin III
popacom
859-808-0836

tm america

i seen one that the guy put a small block chevy in he said it would do like 70mph.i would think you could put a duramax in there to but the 4bt sounds good to me.there are some guys running them in mvs but i dont remember who

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'am in process of doing a repower on a Goat with a 4.3 Vortec GM...V-6 want to see how this works out before I repower my own Goat. I was leaning towards a 6.2 HUMVEE engine as they are plentiful as are the parts.
My # 1 concern is proper cooling as I've heard from several other guys that have done 350 small block conversions on Goats,that this can become a real issue. I think in one of the Goat TM's I saw an illustration of the air flow path thru the engine compartment and radiator and it seems like the fan pushes air thru radiator and out not pulling it in,anyone have input on this? THANKS! popacom.....:beer:

Gamagoat1

The fan does push air out the rear. The biggest problem with the Goat was broken U joints. Much more tourque than the 353 and you will be in even worse shape. Too bad an auto wasn't set up for the Goat. That would protect the drive train from the popped clutch's etc.
It's no hot rod, I've driven mine to Kansas City and back, 1200 miles at 55 and never had the need for more speed. 14.2 mpg.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not lookin for a hot rod

G1 not lookin for a hot rod just less noise and cheaper pwr plant, I looked around for NICE original 3-53 But I could allmost buy another Goat for what most guys I talked to wanted for full up nice T.O. power packs. Not to mention the fact they ain't layin round everywhere like they once were.

popacom.......:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks