• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery trip from Columbus

ida34

Think good thoughts and someone keep Murphy busy. Tomorrow I take the deuce to pick up the M818. Pics to follow. Guys in OH go to threat condition red.

ida34

Just got back around 8pm. Everything went good. It took about an hour and a half to hook up the truck and remover the disconnect the drive shafts. GL guy was nice and was willing to stay to help if needed. I told him we had it covered. They let me work and did not bother me at all. We drove though Columbus and at the first stop for fuel I rechecked and found that I had been stopping on just the deuce brakes. The service valve was closed. I almost forgot. I got a full packed with recent maint paperwork and a disk. I can't wait to find out what info is on the disk. They even had keys for the truck. The tool box was full of BII including fire extinguisher. I just looked in and will inventory it more later. The truck ran good when I moved it around to hook it up. The fenders need to be replaced along with some other small stuff. The best thing is I have a list on what to fix based on the list of stuff wrong that put the truck over the dollar limit. The fenders and mud flaps were the most expensive items. Misc seals and such need to be replaced. I also know what has been done for maint for at least the last few years. Now back to the trip. It took a long time between 45 and 50mph. Just before Toledo the deuce started loosing power. Now it would only go 45 at full throttle. I had replacement filters and figured running the tank low may have put trash in the primary. I was close enough that I just milked it home. At home I opened the primary and got a rush of sucking air. I turned on the master switch and drained some fuel. It looked good. I plan to drain the tank then check the primary to see if it is plugged. Here are some photos.

Attachments

ida34

Some unauthorized jagged holes lined by corrosion. I might be able to patch them. The last inspection report gives me all the NSN's I need to get to make it 100%. The biggest ticket items were the fenders and the mud flaps. Everything else is seals hear and there. The biggest thing is a main seal in the engine. It also needs a trans seal. The seat covers for the drivers seat needs replaced. One blackout light is out and needs replaced. The wiper control valve need replaced. The pass fender is really not that bad. The paperwork also lists two tires as serviceable. I will have to take a look at them and see which ones they are talking about. The spare looks good and will take the place of one of the bad tires. I think the left fuel tank is not reading right so I have to check the sender.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck,
Looks like you got a nice truck. I am happy you made it back safely! Good luck with your new toy!

ida34

I would have done better pulling the deuce with the five-ton but I did not want to get an insurance binder on the 5 ton until I get the sf-97. I would have switched them if I had a major problem with the deuce.

Lane,
Did you need fenders for you five ton also?

ida34

Not yet but I am looking. I need the driver's side bad. I may have to fab up some patch panels. Some I could take from the deuce fender I am taking off.

oilcan

Hey, I recognize that truck! Good to hear things went well.

Have you rowed through the gears yet?

ida34

I had to work today so tomorrow I am going connect the drive shafts and play around. The guy remembered you had checked it out for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks