• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mississippi recovery gone BAD!

FreightTrain

Banned
well,there are 2 problems so far and they are still n mississippi I think.One problem I cannot talk about sorry.personal.The other problem is they are stopped on the side of the interstate after losing a pin the in the tow bar!More updates to follow.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

:popcorn:

FreightTrain

Banned
Ok,They are in Birmingham at this moment in rush hour Friday Get the hell home traffic!I am about to hit the road myself and meet up with them in Decatur.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FT, are you talkng about wrecker? I thought he had a low boy for the wrecker? Why aren't you there?

Re: RE: Mississippi recovery gone BAD!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Who.... What.... Is there something missing here?
FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wreckerman doubles as MURPHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Thanks for our chat Kenny......... I Appreciate it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Mississippi recovery gone BAD!

Not a worry Darrell. Keep me posted.

RE: Re: RE: Mississippi recovery gone BAD!

OK were home now. The wrecker is still sitting on the flat bed. The 2 dueces with gun ring mounts are sitting still hooked to each other out in front of my shop. Both dueces started straight up at shelby with help of a slave cable. I gotta 2 go back soon 2 get me 2 more trucks that are waiting clearance of EUC. plus all the other trucks that are stashed around the east coast. but thats another story. Back to this thread. We got the wrecker loaded and sent the trucker on his way so he can get set up in a hotel for a sat delivery at my shop. They grabed another 5 ton wrecker on site, and hooked up and made a easy task of it.

Then it was off to get the dueces. Wreckerman had his work cut out. He did great as a first time mechanic. hooked up the trucks, wired them up, and we rolled off base. soon as we got off base, he got out the wrenches. and pulled the driveshafts. then off to the interstate we go. Get about 10 mile down the road. the duece in tow is trying to pass the tow duece. One of the pins came out of the tow bar, and the duece is being pulled by one bar. after about a 1/2 mile of trying to get it straightened out and to a stop. (tow bar came loose at 55mph). After made a quick fix, unhook rehook we were back on the interstate again. ran like a champ.

Got into alabama and filled up the tow truck, and headed for the house. we rolled in at about 2000hrs. (8pm)

give a few minutes will post pics of the trucks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
:beer: Wreckerman's wrecker doesn't look too bad..................

saddamsnightmare

April 5th, 2008.

Holy S---t. Batman, there's a loose duece!!!!
Wayne's World is NOT the way to go when you're flat towing a duece!!! BOYS, you REALLY NEED TO CHECK YOUR TOWING EQUIPMENT and SAFETY CHAINS BETTER----- Otherwise You're Gonna make the Evening News and all the rest of us will get to pay for your 15 minutes of notoriety.....
I'm glad you made it home alive, BUT you do need to reconsider your methods if they aren't reliable and safe!!!!

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan :popcorn: :popcorn: :deadhorse:

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce.
""??"" Johnson Mfg.Co.M105A2 1-1/2 Ton Cargo Trailer, Ex OK ANG, MERDC or NATO 4 color Woodland.
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114 Mercedes Benz, NATO Green.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You were extremely lucky with the tow bar incident. Safety checks may seem elementry, but they're not something to be over-looked. So much heartburn, can be avoided by a good "pre-flight"!

Lee in Alaska

Its called using a Wreckerman style pin that had the little push ball in it. I didnt know thats what he was using. Once that happened i put the proper pins in it and it was perfect there on out

FreightTrain

Banned
Ok,I just got home.First off I would like to ask...Anyone got a Good 250 Cummins?The wrecker has a locked up engine....Everything else looks ok.4 brand new Optimas and hit the buttom.THUNK THUNK THUNK....nothing but the starter hitting the flywheel.Also,they tried to pull it but it just locked the wheels up when they dumped the clutch.So,it is safe to say,it needs an overhaul or replacement.....Hey,I might get a rebuildable core engine!!!!!Had a couple snatch blocks in the tool box and a pair of spades for anchoring the truck.Body wise it is ugly but solid and not real rusty.Nothing a blast and spray won't fix.The deuces.The pulling truck I used to pull the wrecker off the semi had some really crappy breaks.Good thing no one decided to be TOO stupid like brake checking a deuce.....Ring legs installed but no cab plate.....hmmmm,someone got lazy when they installed the ring.....The rear deuce pedal is about as limp as a wet noodle.Doesn't feel like it is even connected to the master Cylinder.I will have to check it out.Goes straight to the floor with only a return spring resistance.Looked at the front I could see where the tow bar took a trip up and over the bumper,took a chunk of paint off the grill,across the top of the fender,small nick on the side panel and some rubs on the tire....Then the tow bar crushed the J pipe under the fender and tweeked the fender a bit.Good thing he has some spare parts at the house.It will be fixed.As for teh tow bar...there was NO WAY that other pin was comming lose.It had galled and stuck in the hole.I had to use a 4Lb hammer and a deep well drift pin(Craftsman socket) to knock it out.The towbar looked dead straight and not damaged except the pin at the pintle.The flange was sheered off half way around.Might want to pull the tow bar down totally and inspect for cracks.Oh,the safety chain did do it's job too.Was wrapped around the tie down handle behind the bumper and it was bent down and stretched. a little.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
A lot of the trucks with Cummins engines found in this area are stuck. The high humidity enters the engine and they rust. LDTs don't seem as prone to this, probably due to the turbo baffling this somewhat.

If it were mine, I'd not toss in the towel yet - I bet it can be worked free.

My .02,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks