• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermediate stop for M109

dirtyfingernails

Walter (Green Gator) is heading north to get his M109. He stopped by my place to get a couple spares. Just thought I'd share the beginning of his adventure with the group. I think he said he's headed to Indiana to get it.
Steve

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, have a good trip Walter. Does he have a driver for his vehicle or will he be towing it back?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just met Walter, he came by my house and picked up some goodies headed North for another SS member (the green iron express). Super nice guy and sharp too. I suspect he won't have any issues on his trip home, he seems very well prepared. I offered my assistance if he had any issues near Georgia.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Has anyone spoken to Walter? Gotten a progress report?

Green_gator

RE: M109

Home Again! After four solid days in the car me and the deuce are home. Left Tampa Saturday morning and headed north with a quick stop in Gainesville to pick up spare tires and get a look at Steve's deuce and then off to Atlanta. Caught torrential rains and construction for a good portion of the trip through Georgia and made it to Clint's house to pick up the cylinder heads for Joe. Budget was kind enough to give me a good deal on a one way rental but not sure that they planned on me taking three deuce tires and six cylinder heads. I had to be close to the cargo limit on that thing. After staying with a friend in Atlanta I was off again in the morning headed to Indianapolis. The stretch though the mountains from Knoxville to Lexington convinced this flatlander that the western route through Nashville was the way to come back with the deuce. Arrived in Indianapolis Sunday evening and could not resist going by to take a look even though the shop (R&S Fleet Service, good folk) was closed. Monday morning I was headed South with a new deuce. First impressions of the truck were favorable, tires, engine and overall look were good. As the day progressed I found that my right rear hub was a bit warmer then I would like but I kept an eye on it and it was not getting overly hot so just something to think about. It looked like my only problem would be a dead speedometer. Then Murphy decided to play a practical joke! I was cruising along at about 50 (using mile markers and a clock to figure speeds for different RPMs) when I look down at the gauges and my engine temp is pegged out at the top! I was right at a rest area so slammed it in there and shut her down. I took some time to clean up the rear of the truck including the desk that came with it and to open the tool box. She came with the triangles, air hose, fuel spout and a very nice bottle jack. After 90 minutes I turn on the electrical and the temp is still pegged. Hmmmm says I, that is not right. The engine was cool and I could open the radiator so something is wrong. It seems that the last time I had checked the oil that I must have loosened the connection to the thermostat just enough that it vibrated loose but not off. As soon as I pulled that off and plugged it back in, Presto! a cool engine and a nice rest brake. Off to Chattanooga. After one nice 6% pass that had me crawling by the top and white knuckled on the way down it was clear sailing to Atlanta. Got into a hotel around 3 a.m. for six hours of sleep and then morning maintenance to get back on the road. From Atlanta it was a nice easy drive into Tampa and the truck held steady and sounded comfortable at about 2,400 RPM and give or take 53 - 55 MPH. So at the end of the day a long but successful recovery. If you are looking at a vehicle at Stout Field in Indy, and they have a whole lot of them, I was pleased with the folks at R & S Fleet service who picked mine up and did a full service on it for a very reasonable price. Lets see, I have owned it two days and put over a thousand miles on it, wonder how long the next thousand will take.

Green_gator

One quick thing, was trying to stay off the phone as I only brought the car charger and that as we know is not worth a lot in a deuce. Thanks to Joe for giving me some advice on my one call and it was good to know that there are folks out there that were willing to help if I had a problem. It was nice to meet Steve and Clint on the trip and we need to run a rally in Ky. As I am driving though from Lexington to Louisville they were advertising the Bourbon Trail and I passed the Maker's, Woodford Reserve and Wild Turkey distilleries. Lots of historic sights, small windy roads and some of the most beautiful country around.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Glad you and the shop van made it home safe Walter. The next rally will be in late Sept in GA. So after going over Jellico Mtn on the way up you decided the other route on the way home eh? Then you were greeted with Monteagle. I went over Jellico in both directions in 2003 driving a deuce tractor with a cargo truck piggybacked on the back. It was not a fast ride up but I'd rather do Jellico than Monteagle. Devilman96 and I just travelled that route fron Nashville to Atlanta crossing Monteagle with the 2 dropside deuces. The grade coming off Monteagle can be intimidating but the cargo truck could hold itself back at 50 MPH on the way down. Next time I make it to Tampa, I need to check out the truck!

stout field in indiana is a great place to purchase trucks from. We had got all of Wreckermans trucks from there. All of them drove home with no problems. Ricky (Redass) on here recovered for us. Hes a great recovery guys also for getting trucks. I can see some more SS guys getting trucks outta stout field. They see to be able to drive hundreds of miles with no problems (knock on wood)

Green_gator

Kenny,
Any time you are in the area let me know. I am planning to keep the exterior stock military but the rear shop is going to get set up for my son and I to camp in it for scouts. My wife has family out West of you about 20 miles so I may bring it down there for fun.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks Walter. If you do bring it down, let me know. If at all possible, I'll drive mine over for a visit.

Green_gator

I am rested and back in the office so I can post some pictures of the new shop van and the loaded rental car for the trip from Atlanta to Indianapolis. Looks like some minor work and paint is all that it needs.

Attachments

Capt.Marion

Nice! Funny coincidence- that Trailblazer is almost exactly the same as the one we rented when I went down to look at and eventually buy my M37... Glad you had a safe trip, and are now fully introduced to Mr. Murphy. Get to know him, he likes us MV guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks