• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do CCKWs share cab sheetmetal with the civilian trucks?

DMgunn

I found an old converted-to-God-knows-what CCKW sitting on its axles in the dirt awhile back, and have decided to try to save it from the crusher. The front clip is fairly complete and decent, but the cab is full of bullet holes, and otherwise rough. I would need a good cab and glass.

This truck would be a great candidate for a project I have been dreaming up for a long while. What I need is a cab and front clip for starters. Anyone know if some of the civvy stuff is interchangeable - not "correct", but physically compatible?

It would be easier on my conscience to use something that is well beyond restorable...

WW2Chevy

RE: CCKW cab

The closed cab CCKW and the Chevy G506 have a cab that is nearly identical to the '41-'46 Chevy or GM civilian cab. Some of the minor differences include the military dash, with no windshield crank; the fuel tank is located outside the cab instead of under the seat; and the cab sits higher than the civilain cab. There are probably other minor differences, but those are the ones that come to mind...

Wolf.Dose

RE: CCKW cab

To my knowledge the WW2 Chevy is correct. The side panels of the 1.5 ton are different (with CHEVROLET stamped ito them, less slots in the sides) The cab sheet metal parts are identical to my experiance. Even the Jimmy had differences in the cab. Steel sheet cabs were used on CCW and CCKW models, cab types 1574 or 1615, with and without roof hatch to mount the machine gun on mount M32 or M37. Even in the mounts there are mior differences.
CCKW with roof hatch nowadays are realy reare; especially CCKW352.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks