• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ultra capacitors for cranking

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you ever wondered about these, here is the real deal:

http://www.cantecsystems.com/can-crank.html

The capacitors are charged by the regular batteries and provides cranking power at a wide range of temperatures. One charge is good for one start attempt after which the capacitors are recharged for next try if the engine doesn't start....

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Ultra capacitors for cranking

gimpyrobb said:
CRANETRUCK'S Can-crank!? Somethings fishy here.
Yep, I make those in my basement..:)

IMHO, if you keep your regular batteries happy, they (ultra caps) would never be needed..

Jones

RE: Re: RE: Ultra capacitors for cranking

I give'm a year. By then the Japanese will have bought a set, copied them and the price will be more affordable. Some may even have hit the surplus market by then.
The one-charge, one-try technology is the only thing that leaves me cold. No more cranking to prime the injector lines or bumping it through to the timing or valve setting mark. You'd need a small genset or a set of batteries to re-charge the capacitors if your rig didn't start the first time-- and if you're going to lug that stuff around, why take on the extra expense and weight of the capacitor pack?

rmgill

RE: Re: RE: Ultra capacitors for cranking

Taking a stab at the logic here, I'd think that the advantage is that they're probably lighter and the combination of capacitor and smaller battery is lighter than a larger battery of equivalent cranking effort.

I think the smaller battery would easily charge the capacitor, just over a longer duration. But the output of the capacitor would be larger than such a small battery could put out safely (Amperage wise).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Ultra capacitors for cranking

rmgill said:
Taking a stab at the logic here, I'd think that the advantage is that they're probably lighter and the combination of capacitor and smaller battery is lighter than a larger battery of equivalent cranking effort...
This one weighs 54 lb....
As far as energy storage, it's only a fraction of the lead acid battery, perhaps 1/10th, cranking the engine for 4 to 5 seconds before recharging.

Attachments

rmgill

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ultra capacitors for cranking

Hmm....7.5kW at -20°C cranking power. At 24 volts thats 312.5 amps. 1250 amps peak power.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ultra capacitors for cranking

I sent an email to GM about using a mix of high effeciency caps and batteries in their hybrid. The way a cap acts it is good for such short period bursts but the voltage drop after one time period would limit anything but one shot as Bjorn stated. It amazed me the first time I saw a full one farad cap. That is quite a bit of power but I do not see why they are getting $2,500.00 for them. The fact that they hold 111 Farads is pretty cool

Csm Davis

I dont know guys:twisted: how about a pair of Hawker Batteries and a solargizer and a Ultra capacitor sounds like you would have power even after 6 months of sitting? but oh so much money!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks