• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Box

dsgsr4700

What is the Black Box on the Firewall on drivers side of my M37 and what is it's function?

Thank you,

David

Mike_L

On the firewall, I presume you mean on the engine bay side. That would be your voltage regulator. The M37 uses a generator and external regulator setup (old school, but reliable). Modern vehicles use a alternator that does it all in one component. If is is large and rounded top, it is the older, original type. If it is short and boxy looking with fins on the side, it is the newer solid state type.

Now, if you are looking at something inside the cab on the firewall, then I have no idea. Mine doesn't have anything but wiring harness on the firewall, driver's side.

dsgsr4700

Thanks Mike L, It's the Rectangle sort-of rounded type box with three coils inside, each having a set of points (two alike and one different)

David

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, it's the older electomechanical voltage regulator. You'll find descriptions in many manuals, the TM-8000 has pages on it. The "coils" are relays.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks