• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Lewis M35A2 recovery

cleb

The EUC for my M35A2 cleared yesterday, and the recovery is planned for Tuesday. I will be driving from school (University of Idaho) to Ft. Lewis (Leg 1: http://tinyurl.com/4vnez6), get the truck running, and if all goes as planned, drive from Ft. Lewis, to Lopez Island (Leg 2: http://tinyurl.com/3ehj47). After I get her home, I will head back to school to finish out the school year (Leg 3: http://tinyurl.com/4mlcy4). I will be leaving Moscow Monday evening, spending the night in Seattle, then heading down early Tuesday to start the prep.

MilitaryRestoration is helping me with the whole operation, as this is my first GL recovery. He will be picking up his M818, and M105 on Tuesday as well. He has been great in getting everything planned and answering any questions, as well as finding parts.

I have had a M211, and a M1009 in the past, but I sold both. I haven't had a MV in about 2 years, and I recently decided I needed another hunk of green iron, and a summer project, so.. :). I have worked on our FD's M35A2 a bit in the past, and have been reading the archives like a madman, and with MilitaryRestoration's help, all should go smoothly. I have the Interceptor loaded with all the fluids, filters, diesel, and tools. Luckly I have a huge trunk! Pics of the truck: http://defcon-3.net/gallery/m35a2_top I will post pictures of the recovery on the above site, and the story when I get back. Anyone willing to keep Murphy busy on Tuesday? ;)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good luck Cleb.....

cleb

Monday:

We left Moscow at 1545 with one loaded Crown Vic, and made it to Olympia at 2200. We hit some pretty heavy snow on Snoqualmie pass; the road was wet with some slush. It made for a bit of miserable driving. After we got off the pass it was heavy rain for most of the trip, it cleared up by the time we got to Olympia.

Tuesday:

Got up at 0600, and left Olympia/Summit Lake at 0645. We arrived at the Ft. Lewis visitor center at 0715. Todd (MilitaryRestoration) got stuck in traffic, and arrived at 0800. We got our passes, and headed up to the DRMO/GL lot. We got to the truck at 0830. I started checking the fluids, and Todd and his helper replaced the batteries with new ones, and started checking over everything else. I dumped 10 gallons of diesel in then, which added to the ½ tank or so that was there. We had her running by 0900, started right up. All the fluids were full; we did add a little brake fluid for good measure. We both took the truck for a spin around the lot, and everything worked fine. We had noticed the headlamp on the passenger side was out. The only one Todd could get on such short notice was one for $50. Ouch. We went to replace it, and couldn’t due to the replacement which had spade connectors, and the burnt out one had the military style plug connectors. We put the old one back in, and figured since high beam still worked, we could get home on that. Well, not 1 minute later the high beam burned out. Darn. We went on a hunt for spade connectors. The GL guy found us some. I cut the harness off the old headlamp, and put the spade connectors on. We then realized the headlamp had .30in connectors, and our spades were .25in. Darn. We cut the spades off, and I strip and solder the wires directly to the headlamp. Test it, and it looks like someone is arc welding inside the headlamp. Ouch. That was the quickest waste of $50 I’ve seen in a while. We air up all the tires, and decide to head out and make it home before dark. I loaded all the fluids and extra parts in the truck, so the car would be a little lighter. We wait a little bit for the paperwork, and head off the base at 1100. Everything works fine, until the onramp of I-5. I put her to the floor so I could get a bit of speed for the freeway. When I go to shift, the engine revs to the governor. I pull the accelerator back with my toe and try again. Sure enough, sticks again. Well, we aren’t 2 minutes off the base and it’s broken. I pull over to the side of the onramp, and find a broken throttle return spring. The one thing I forgot to buy before the trip. I do a little creative engineering with a piece of wire, and we’re off again. I was a little worried for the first 20 minutes after that, but once we hit Seattle and some sun, her and I had an understanding, and I felt better from then on. My driver followed me in the car, and did interference when I needed to change lanes, which was a great help. Portable radios were a must! We made it thru Seattle traffic in one piece. It then started raining, and I had fun with the little windshield wiper. I'm 6'1, and it didn't wipe where my eyes looked out. About half way home the fuel gauge went gunnysack. It was showing way past full. I wish. She ran about 52-55 on the freeway most of the way, got a little slowed down for a couple hills. We get to Mt. Vernon, about an hour from the ferry, to stop for fuel. $60 later at $4.449 a gallon. We then get semi-lost in downtown Mt. Vernon. Turned a few heads with the loud exhaust, then back on the freeway. We make it to Anacortes, and grab food at Subway. We made it to the ferry at 1445, and $81 later we are on the ferry. Made it home without a problem, and dropped by the local parts store to grab a new return spring.

My favorite part of the trip: Driving through a tunnel in Seattle, and putting her to the floor. The noise echoing in the tunnel was impressive. I’m sure everyone around us heard it. Also had a few people give the thumbs up on the freeway.

I would like to thank MilitaryRestoration for his help during the recovery. He brought me a few extra parts that I didn’t ask for, and was an awesome help getting her running and us on the road. He had a few fits with his M818 after we left, but last I heard (at 1755) he was over Snoqualmie pass (1 ft of snow) and about an hour and a half away from home. I’m sure he will be posting his story here.

Pictures are at http://defcon-3.net/gallery/m35a2_recovery with lots of them and captions.

We are leaving in my car at 0640 tomorrow to head back to Moscow. Should be an easy drive, the hard part is over!

Edit: I would do it again in a heartbeat! Definately a once in a lifetime experience.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great story! How long did it take you to determine it was in low range? I love these stories. Is this your first deuce? Now the unfair wait for the SF97. I remermber my first long trip in a deuce. Rebcon it was about 1000 miles. I was alone and a little worried. After a while everything just kinda gelled and I had a blast. Like you I said I'd do it again in a heartbeat and I have, many times.

cleb

We got up at 0600 this morning and caught the ferry back to the mainland. We made it safely back to Moscow at around 1400. This is not my first deuce. I had a M211 a few years back, but since I got it 3 miles from my house, not much of a recovery mission ;). This is my first M35A2. I knew it was in low range when we drove it around the lot to test brakes, etc. I popped her up just before we headed off base. The actual driving of the deuce wasn’t too long (~140 miles), but the whole drive ended up being almost 900 miles. We've gotten about 10 hours of sleep since we left Moscow Monday night. I’m going to sleep well tonight!

Edit: Not sure if I'm coming to the show. I would love to, but depends on money, etc. I went a little out on a limb for this recovery. What are the dates?

Blood_of_Tyrants

That is one long haul. I was stationed at Whidbey Island Naval Air Station from '83 to '86 and drove over to Moses Lake, Spokane, and Kettle Falls with my best Navy buddy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks