• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helped a woman in distress

dirtyfingernails

Took the deuce out for a spin this afternoon and came upon a woman on the side of the road. She actually flagged me down and told me that her husband told her if she ever needed assistance, the military would help if they could. Anyway, I digress. She had a blowout and didn't have a jack and her spare had about 5 lbs of air. Anyway, I only carry the bottle jack in the deuce which made getting the S10 jacked up interesting (not enough space to get the jack under the truck). Finally got it up, hooked up the impact wrench to the emergency outlet, popped that tire off, filled up her tire, popped it back on...done! I felt good. She said she'd been there a while and no-one would stop. Do unto others you know. With all the tools I carry, I never thought of a jack for civy cars. I came home and threw my extra high-lift in the deuce. This was my first use of the truck in an "emergency." Precisely why I own this thing!!
Steve

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Steve. That could have been my mom. :wink:

rizzo

nice, sorta typical for a SS member though. You should have rebuilt her airpak and adjusted her shoes up after you worked on her tire. That would have made you stand out from the SS crowd. :lol:

ah1955

Very good of you to help someone when you can, all of us have family or even your selfs that may need a hand sometime and would hope that a leading hand would be there.
Good tip about the jack, most carry tools and equpt. for our trucks, but a few smaller items for the other motorist assist is planning for a bigger picture.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job, Steve! Too many people are too wrapped up in their own busy schedule to help others.
I have pulled many out of snow banks and ditches along roads. I never ask for $, most will offer though. The police wave a military vehicle on through even though roads are shut down due to weather conditions. One well dressed guy was a butt, though. He had tried to go through water about 18 inches deep and drowned out. I drove out to him, took off my shoes, waded to him and hooked up. I pulled him to high ground and got the ignition dried out. He took off without even saying thanks. I wanted the chance to push him back in the water!
One farmer here had a couple of kids put a car off the road and into his fence. He took his tractor out, hooked up and pulled them out. He was wise enough to leave the chain hooked up when he went to the car to demand $ for the damage. The kid said the usual words and tried to take off. Hitting the end of the chain convinced him to pay!
It is good when we do the Good Samaritan thing. Too many chances for the wrong kind of people to take advantage of a lady who is stranded like that.
Regards Marti

dirtyfingernails

Marti et al., Thanks for the comments. It's sad commentary on our society when people you help don't even thank you. I don't know if most of you have noticed that even holding the door open for people (man or woman) they act like they deserve it and don't say thank you!! It really irks me when they are on the dang CELL PHONE and walk right through like they're special. It really sticks in my craw!! Sorry to rant. They woman I helped offered money, but I refused. I would sure hope someone would help my wife or mom like that. I got the high lift mounted in the rear of the duece now. I think my tool list is good to go!
Steve

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate the thought of a person, especially a female, stranded like that. You know they are more than likely afraid. Look at the crazy incidents we hear about.

Thanks for doing the right thing. That was somebody's mom, daughter, or sister.

[thumbzup]

Hm2klie

That woman will tell stories about how you saved her day for a long time to come, more importantly she made it home safely! Thanks from someone who has sisters a mother and a daughter [thumbzup]

steelandcanvas

dirtyfingernails said:
Marti et al., Thanks for the comments. It's sad commentary on our society when people you help don't even thank you. I don't know if most of you have noticed that even holding the door open for people (man or woman) they act like they deserve it and don't say thank you!! It really irks me when they are on the dang CELL PHONE and walk right through like they're special. It really sticks in my craw!! Sorry to rant. They woman I helped offered money, but I refused. I would sure hope someone would help my wife or mom like that. I got the high lift mounted in the rear of the duece now. I think my tool list is good to go!
Steve
Steve got any photos on how you mounted your Hi-Lift?

John

Tibby

A job well done, I would say. I carry 2 bottle jacks and two scissor jacks for just such an event. No opportunity to use them yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks