• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This won't work.....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had 10 Deuce wheels sand blasted down to bare metal with the intention of using rattlecans to prime and paint flat black....
Today I did my first wheel....
2 cans of primer and 2 cans of flat black later, 1 wheel done, I've decided I need to invest in a sprayer and paint.....
Anyone have suggetions for a mid range sprayer setup I could pick up to finish this job properly?

Attachments

Michael

RE: This won

Aren't you suppose to get some primer paint on any metal you sandblast the same day you do the blasting? I thought it started rusting almost immediately.

RE: This won

The spray gun I use was from Harbor fright about $20 for painting army paint it has done a good job you will need a water trap also . my paint I bought from Rapco the red primer has to be used with laquer thinner and the paint you can use paint thinner .paint sprayed on with a gun will be a lot thicker then with the cans and will last a long time. kenny

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: This won

topo said:
The spray gun I use was from Harbor fright about $20 for painting army paint it has done a good job you will need a water trap also . my paint I bought from Rapco the red primer has to be used with laquer thinner and the paint you can use paint thinner .paint sprayed on with a gun will be a lot thicker then with the cans and will last a long time. kenny
Yeah, I was worried about the thickness of the paint.......gotta get a rig from somewhere....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harbor Freight also has a sandblasting outfit for $79.99.

I guess then it would depend on how much media you had to use to blast the wheels (or anything else for that matter).

You have to have a good air compressor though in order to use it correctly.

Might be cheaper to get the blasting equipment and an air compressor then you can do it whenever you want and then start collecting all those air tools.

:)

jasonjc

I have a HVLP type paint spraygun from HF. It work real nice and there is ALOT less over spray on every thing else unlike spray cans. It was in the $20-30 range. I've used it alot now and real like it , along with the Gillespie paint for Rapco. It does go on thicker and is alot tuffer than spray can paint.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm going to get a spray rig. But the sandblaster, I've got more than enough compressor, but I'm not sure I want to P O the neighbors putting that much dust in the air.......

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would highly sugest doing a lil home work. Make a few phone calls see if there is a truck tire co. I bought 5 new tires from one near methey had on hand for my 416 trailer $100 and they bead blasted and powder coated/baked my wheels for me someone might power coat them for you ..Worth a few calls

Capt.Marion

As far as I understand (I'm not hijacking this thread too much) you don't need a special sprayer for these heavier-duty paints... just your average Northern Tool or Lowes jobber... Do y'all reccommend Gravity or Siphon feed? Also- any special equipment needed for spraying CARC?

Advice on sandblasting and spraying: Craigslist is your friend. They have air compressors galore on there. I found one about 20 minutes away from me for $500 that is essentially a $2300 compressor. Sure, it needed a little bit of TLC (thanks to my mediocre loading, hauling, and unloading skills). But I think I only spent like $25 on parts and fix-it-up stuff. You would probably be good to go with a 60-80 gallon setup, dual stage (a must), and probably no less than a 5 horse motor.

littlebob

I usuaully try to put a metalprep solution on parts I sandblast and then clean with wax and grease removerto get rid of any residulale oils from fingers.Once I get them clean I try to only handle with latex/nitrile gloves or a clean cloth.I can do good work with a $20.00 dollar gun from HF to do the actual spraying if adjusted properly. Before you start spraying with a conventional gun, spray it on a test spot of cardboard or something and see if you have a football like pattern. Humidity here is a big problem and I have to have multiple driers ,filters to keep the air clean and dry. I always use a disposable at the spray gun.
Good Luck,
littlebob

Attachments

m376x6

Over the last 25 years or so I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight and the like cheapies. They'll run anywhere from 15 to 35 dollars on sale and use a one quart siphoning type can. Some were teflon lined and some were just plain aluminum. They run great on pressure anywhere from 45 to 60 psi. Buy and wear a mask specifically rated to filter organics that have replaceable screw on filter cannisters. To keep the drying time down to a reasonable length, read the paint manufacturers recommendations for thinner and use the fastest. Regular paint thinner is slow, there's naptha, acteone, and xylol or xylene. Some paints can't handle fast thinners and will become useless if you attempt to mix them in. Not all oil based alkyd enamels are the same. There are expensive automotive finish grade paints that are expensive but I hate paying upwards of a $100 a gallon or more to beat the crap out of a truck and its wheels. You can buy a nice semi gloss oil based alkyd enamel in black at Home Depot for around $20 a gallon but it takes two days to fully dry.

Regards,
Bryan Sage

kx250m1

I prefer my old trusty binks model 7, I have used it for years, with just an occasional rebuild, I use the cheapies for primer, if you plan on keeping it for years buy a good one, as the cheap ones that I have had, the chrome finish starts to go bad, and don't really hold up, 1 thing to remember, always clean your gun out completely for easy hassle free use, I once loaned my gun to a friend, and he cleaned out the paint cup and exterior of the gun real well, just forgot the inside, and nozzle, needless to say I was quite furious when I went to use it about a month later, paint mixed ready to spray, and the gun just sputters and spurts, something to laugh at now, not at the time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks