• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No more Chambersburg trucks

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told yesterday that GL will not be selling any more trucks out of Letterkenny for at least the foreseeable future. All trucks will be sold out of Ft. Meade, MD. Not sure if this is true or not, but it could be with all of the trucks popping up at Ft. Meade...and none really at Letterkenny.

HeadWizard

Kinda makes sense.

The Chambersburg site is unsecured (open base), the lot is a gravel mudhole, Mechanicsburg is just up the road, and the lot also serves working military vehicles.

The Ft. Meade site is secure, has a large paved lot and permanent building to work from, is geographically farther away from other sites, and doesn't do anything else than serve DRMO and surplus operations.

grobinson2

Hey guys,
I am down at Letterkenny quite a bit and yes this is true. Only items with out weels will be sold from Letterkenny for the next 18 months or so. Also items that have already been sold but were not picked up will still be sold from Letterkenny.

Thanks,
Glenn

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That certainly explains all the trucks at Ft Meade. The good things is that my Brother lives out there. I was out there in Feb and we went over to the fence inside the base perimeter but could not get close enough to see the condition of anything.

No, it is not in a low security area. It's on the same base as the NSA so I wouldn't expect anything less.

It's 498 miles from me but he is close enough to check on stuff for me if I really wanted to go out there I guess.

Hmmm, the 818s are lining up.....

;-)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I can tell you that Fort Meade is closer to my home but yes the security is tight if I was home I could check things out for you as I usually go to the comissary there to do my grocery shopping and use the PX. The DRMO/GL lot is a limited access site but the security is not as tight as on Aberdeen if you have to go back into the research area to pick up. You can take your phone into the Meade lot not the one at Aberdeen.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that. :( I liked dealing with the folks at Chambersburg, they had a lot of great trucks there, and I actually liked the aspect of not having to go through mega-security to get to the DRMO lot. (yes, I remember the days of being able to drive onto some bases like Belvoir, Meade and Knox without so much as a guard stopping you) Ft. Meade is probably just as far for me as Chambersburg is, maybe even a little closer, but the traffic will suck getting trucks home.

I was wondering about the trucks at Chambersburg, especially since I saw a few pics on GL's site showing almost an empty lot.

acetomatoco

The unofficial info I have is that GL got into big trouble with several states for selling vehicles and collecting sales tax and not turning it over to the state. Also selling and acting as a dealer without proper state licensing. Remember that the whole contract is now up for bid again for a period of X years. Guess who ultimately pays for all the trucking.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting... They've actually refunded me all of my illegally collected vehicle tax money, but there's still plenty that has been paid twice by many of us.

They did get themselves a bonafide Florida Dealer License and have used that for all of my recent transactions, so they might have that problem fixed, too.

They've got a leg up on the competition in regards to selling surplus at this point, so I've got a feeling they will be holding the contract again this next go around. Their customer dis-service has become a thing of legend, but I like to go back to the old saying "You know what you've got. You don't know what you're gonna get..."

USMilitarySurplus

acetomatoco said:
The unofficial info I have is that GL got into big trouble with several states for selling vehicles and collecting sales tax and not turning it over to the state. Also selling and acting as a dealer without proper state licensing. Remember that the whole contract is now up for bid again for a period of X years. Guess who ultimately pays for all the trucking.
There is absolutely no truth to that rumor. We have been audited by several state tax authorities. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

HeadWizard

OK, I have to jump in here about the sales tax thing and the Ft. Meade thing.

Robyn - I can appreciate your defense of GL and that GL has been audited by a number of states and that everything is OK. That's fine. What I can also add through 1st hand experience and not through the "grapevine" is that I was interviewed by an official at DMV headquarters in Richmond, VA about how GL conducts their vehicle sales in VA. This interview was in response to an inquiry that I made to VA DMV as to why they wanted to collect the 3% titling tax on a Deuce I purchased from GL when I had already paid GL a 5% tax on the sale. The vehicle sales tax in VA is 3% and it is a statutory offense to charge any more than that. Vehicle sales tax is only supposed to be charged by licensed VA Vehicle Dealers and remitted to the VA DMV and not the VA Department of Taxation.

In short, I can say with 100% certainty (as told me by this DMV official who is the number 3 or 4 head person for the state) is that GL is currently in violation of the DMV laws in the state of VA for the incorrect collection of the vehicle tax, not being a licensed VA Vehicle Dealer, and not issuing titles to the vehicles sold in the state.

Please feel free to respond and/or PM me at your convenience. I would be glad to put the GL personnel in touch with the folks at VA DMV so the 2 of you can get this situation resolved and us buyers can buy from GL legally.

As to the Ft. Meade thing, I spent 3 hours there yesterday previewing vehicles and there are a &*%$load of them there right now. Sara (the GL Rep) said they were expecting lots more and that this trend would continue as the Chambersburg site has been removed from vehicle sales. For those of you looking for stuff at Meade I can only say, BUYER BEWARE. Every thing you see in the pictures might not be as it seems and the descriptions might be somewhat lees than accurate. I was VERY disappointed in the things that I saw.

Also, somebody posted that "there were 2000 trucks parked in a field at Meade'. Not true, I drove the entire base and nothing there.

Go ahead, flame away. :D

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HeadWizard said:
Also, somebody posted that "there were 2000 trucks parked in a field at Meade'. Not true, I drove the entire base and nothing there.

Go ahead, flame away. :D
You won't get it from me. I've rarely been accused of being a flamer. Those that have ended up in the hospital. :D

2000 trucks in a field at Ft. Meade? I know Meade well enough to say that you'd be hard pressed to find a field at Meade that can handle that many vehicles parked there at once. Maybe in you include the golf course, but good luck getting the brass to approve parking two thousands trucks there....

USMilitarySurplus

Thank you for keeping it professional, HW. I'm going to address taxes in general and then this case specifically.

Local sales taxes are charged for all items unless a tax exemption form is received prior to the close of the sale. If the truck you bought was located in AZ, for example, then you would pay the local sales tax for that area, not for your home state. This is because we have a physical location in that state where the item is being sold and are legally required by state laws to charge sales tax.

It's similar to going to a store in another state and making a purchase. You'll be assessed the local sales tax.

However, possession, control and risk of loss of any property purchased passes to the customer, or their representative, at the location of the sale. So the sales tax applies whether or not the intention is to transport the property to a location outside the state (and/or country) and whether or not the property is actually transported elsewhere.

This is all complicated by the fact that state tax laws regarding the sales taxation of vehicles vary by state. In some states, sales tax is collected by the seller and remitted to the state. In other states, the sales tax is not collected by the seller but is paid by the customer when they license, title or register the vehicle.

So it's possible for a vehicle that's purchased in one state, where sales tax is required at time of sale, to then be transported to another state where taxes are charged at time of registration.

In this case, the VA Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax rate is 3%, and we do not collect that tax. The Code of Virginia basically says that the purchaser pays the tax to the DMV when they title the vehicle: “§ 58.1-2404. Time for payment of tax on sale, use or rental of a motor vehicle. The tax on the sale or use of a motor vehicle shall be paid by the purchaser or user of such motor vehicle and collected by the Commissioner at the time the owner applies to the Division of Motor Vehicles for, and obtains, a certificate of title.”

If you were charged 5% for a vehicle you bought in VA, which is what I'm inferring from your post, then an error was made and I would advise you to contact Customer Service.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robyn, is Chambersburg PA, discontinuing truck sales?

n3sq

Robyn,
GL needs to have a vehicle dealer license in Pennsylvania to sell more than 5 vehicles (trailers, trucks, and cars) per year.

I checked with the PA Department of State (and the State Board Vehicle Manufacturers, Dealers and Salespersons which is part of the DOS), Government Liquidation.com, LLC (Delaware corporation registered as a foreign corporation in PA) does not have either a vehicle dealer license or an auction license.

I reference:

Board of Vehicles Act, Act of December 22, 1983 (P.L. 306, No. 84) as amended 63 P.S. §§ 818.1 et seq.
and
Regulations of the State Board Vehicle Manufacturers, Dealers and Salespersons, 49 PA. CODE § 19.1 et seq.

Flame away folks, but it's the truth. 2cents

HeadWizard

Robyn-

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will contact Customer service at GL on Monday and ask for my refund. That being said, you may want to notify all VA buyers that they are entitled to a refund if they subsequently registered their GL purchased motor vehicle in VA?

No matter where a vehicle buyer resides or intends to register a motor vehicle purchased in the Commonwealth of VA, vehicles sold in VA are exempt from the VA Department of Taxations 5 % sales tax.

I noticed that you did not speak to the issue of GL not being a licensed motor vehicle dealer in the Commonwealth of VA. With the number of vehicle sold by GL, GL needs to be a dealer. Again, I'd be happy to put you people in touch with the correct individuals at VA DMV.

Thanks Again-

Don

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks