• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1944 Jeep and trailer sold on ebay for $39,100

FrankUSMC

Wow!
Two items jump right out at me. One, for a jeep that should be very close to perfect, they should have put the windshield gasket back on (look at the inner wind shield frame, no gasket!), plus, my 1943 ford jeep looks 100 times better under the hood. It looks like no detail was done to the engine, just spray painted every thing. They even painted the 2008 alternator! Under the hood looks like mine did before I started restoring it.
$39,100??? and it did not make reserve? I need to bring my jeep home from the farm, it looks as good as that one.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

amanco

I'd say that is what you call an "eBay fee" appraisal. You pay the lsting fee, put an unreal reserve on it and see what some one is willing to pay. In this case 39.1k

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the reserve is higher than $39,100, the seller is expecting too much. I don't care if the jeep is factory perfect and Mae West's boobs were once in it, I'm not paying $40K for a jeep.

amanco

by tractor: It didn't sell didn't meet the reserve
by MadDawg308: If the reserve is higher than $39,100, the seller is expecting too much. I don't care if the jeep is factory perfect and Mae West's boobs were once in it, I'm not paying $40K for a jeep.
I didn't say it sold. And there may have been no intention of selling it at all. The reserve may have been $100,000. They were just getting a feel for what some one was willing to pay for it. Lets say it was a new aquisition to the seller's obvious vast collection of antique automobiles which they buy & sell on a regular basis. Who knows, maybe it was even a donation from a widow or seasoned citizen who went to a nursing home and lost their storage. Maybe he wants to buy it him self and is offering the seller a wholsale offer of 75% which frees the seller of the burden of selling it them selves.

"So what do we insure it for?
I don't know!
What is the cheapest and realistic appraisial out there?
eGay!"
(That term makes me laugh every time I see it!)

If the reserve was $39,099 it would have sold! I may be totaly wrong, any one else out there have a better idea?

tractor

True amaco. Also on the G they picked it apart. It is a mixture of GPW and Mb parts and isn't even worth 15 if that. Some of the things are no combat rims, red light black out, mb front springs, gpw rear and body, and the data plate has no info on it.

JeepMan

Just like a Jeep at a recent MV show which "bristled" with way too many guns, this Jeep has too many guns on it also. Usually it's either/or. (Gotta be able to carry lots of ammo in a 1/4 ton!!)
The "30 cal" is improperly mounted -- usually it's mounted on the far right hence usually 1/2 of tjhe glovebox cover is gone.
Where do you plug the trailer lights in??
Whats with the "caution above" stencil??
Nice Jeep for a reenactor.

NB1944

This Jeep is 'parade ready.' As a re-enactor, this thing is completely farby! What a joke. If you are going to ask that kind of dough, you had at least try to learn what it is you have there and try to restore it accurately! I don't think you could restore a Ferrari or a Duesenburg and pull a similar stunt! Seems like the only serious efforts went into trying to fool all of us and selling us something that way, way overpriced!

I agree with you guys that say the thing is way too 'gun heavy.' Overkill. Unfortunately, after all the parades and airshows that I have been in, this seems to be what the public wants. Oh, well! I have always tried to educate those who see my vehicle and try to downplay all the 'hollywood' BS that everyone sees in movies. Seems like I'm losing that battle! It was nice of them to throw in all the goodies (desk, personal items, etc), but that doesn't do much to help bring up the overall price. They could have done much better. Too bad.

2deuce

I would be very skeptical that anyone actually bid that high. As far as an appraisal by ebay, I don't think it means much because you can bid on your own auction. Wouldn't doubt it happened here.

NB1944

I was very dissappointed to see the engine work... they should have given this much more attention. Makes you wonder if they rebuilt the engine or if they simply spray-painted it? Any jduge worth his salt would downrate this rig - terrible workmanship. Workmanship, authentic parts, and attention to detail is what make a vehicle worth what its worth. Seems like they forgot this lesson.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm.. I could spray bomb the cj-2a, swap the grille, and hang everything possible on it. Think I could get 39,000!?!?! Heck, it's yours for only 10,000, what a steal!

NB1944

Stretch

I think that's what this guy tried to do... and hoped the rest of us would fall for it! The paint job is so bad that it appears they overstrayed the engine compartment.

Hey, don't you guys know that OD stands for over dirt?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks