• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with towing oskosh trailer Lejune NC

jwaller

I can drag it home for you with my 5T for a price if you dont think your deuce is up for it. I dont think i'd try it with my deuce.

turnerman

I was thinking of using it mated to the duece for my moving company for heavy items like hot tubs. Might haul back home at night on back roads just wondering if the brake lines were air and if i fitted the duece to the trailer if they would work properly. Stopped by local National Gaurd to look at their Oshkosh and I think the haul is do-able but the brakes have me stumped as of now.

What would you charge 4starGeneral? You are about 2 hrs from greenville I think

When transaction is completed I will post what I find out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Heavy items like hot tubs!? :shock:

I don't think it would be hard to fab a plate to bolt on the front of one of those things and put a pintle hitch on it. Make sure you remove the driveshaft too. I doubt that is as heavy as the 5ton dump I pulled with my deuce. Just use common sence and watch the road.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you guys plan to hook on to this unit to tow it? As far as I know, there is no pintle hitch.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
guys that sucker weighs 12 tons...empty.
I would love to see someone try to pull one with a deuce, might set a wheelie distance record.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These arent normal "trailers" like we commonly think of them... Unless you hook it to a LVS, your gonna have a hell of a time with these things....
You also better have a plan for dealing with the flailing drive shaft.....................

If you looked at a HEMTT or PLS at your locall Guard unit, these are totally different that those.... Other than being made in the same factory, thats about where the similarities end....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, we pulled a 108 home with Stretch's deuce. Thats about 20,000lbs. I would imagine that if you pulled the axles out, the driveshaft wouldn't spin. I don't think its not do-able.

turnerman

I would think that if the military pulled these units that they would have a weight distribution of 40 /60 with 40% weight on the tongue.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
emmado22 said:
These arent normal "trailers" like we commonly think of them... Unless you hook it to a LVS, your gonna have a heck of a time with these things....

listen to Emmado...

don't think of it as a trailer, think of it as the back half of an articulated 10ton 8x8

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that if the military pulled these units that they would have a weight distribution of 40 /60 with 40% weight on the tongue.
This thing is not your standard trailer... How many other military trailers have POWERED rear axles??????????????????????????????

That bolt on pintle hitch is NOT how it was designed to be towed.. I'd use it for jockeying it around the motorpool, but surely not for towing...

turnerman

Well called the gov liq guys and they didn't sound to happy but they don't think it should be towed either. The brakes are air to release the brakes. Do you guys if the air over hydraulic hook up on the duece will release the brakes on the trailer for towing? I have had 10 tons of dirt in the back of my duece before not to say that is good but I think I could manage it for 400 miles home. It would deffinatly beat the 1000 tow bill.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
but I think I could manage it for 400 miles home. It would deffinatly beat the 1000 tow bill.
I see $400 in fuel no mater who does it, so for the extra $600, you can spend it on tickets and burger at McDonalds.
It'll cost you a bit more that $1000, if you kill someone. Glad your in SC.

turnerman

You take that chance evertime you get in a car or truck. True, no-one ever wants that. Did you ever figure what you would charge to pick the unit up and deliver for me?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that you could move it with determination and a deuce, but 400 miles just sounds way to risky. That's a lot of time and money. It just makes more sense to hire it done with the right equipment. The shipping probably would be less than the tax and buyers premium!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks