• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep Engine

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This isn't my forte but here goes.

Short version is I need to find out any suppliers or location of an engine for a 1942 Jeep. Was told it is a CJ but I don't know if that is correct. Unsure of manufacturer.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant at the nearby USMCR center is looking for one to fix up a jeep that has been in his family for years. He is a maintenance sergeant and states the engine currently in the jeep is damaged to the point of being a total write off and cannot be rebuilt.

medlog

NB1944

Medlog

G503 is a good suggestion - I know several guys who have/have restored Jeeps, but even if they had an engine I doubt they would want to part with it. G503 is your best bet. Also try contacting some of the major parts guys, like Peter DeBella, DL Bensinger, etc. - they may have an engine. You can Google WWII Jeep parts. LOL.

NB1944

If you are wanting/restoring a WWII Jeep, I suggest you purchase the books All American Wonder, Vol 1 & 2. They have lots of pics and take the time to point our the differences between Willys and GPW. Also have goo photos of the engine. They are well worth the investment!

Chief_919

I have a good block, crank, pistons, etc here in NC. I just took the head off, but the rest is there. It is mounted to a PE-95 genset, the price is right if he wants just the engine or the whole deal (the PE-95 skid makes a great test run stand). It would be a good rebuilder or is most likely usable as is with a head (that I may have too).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A 1942 Jeep HAS to be a miltary Jeep, right? There weren't any civvy Jeep's (CJ) until after the war.................

I believe the 1942 Jeep should have the Willys "Go Devil" engine. Straight 4, flathead, etc.

I know these guys sell engines (and transmissions/transfer case) wth a warranty and they are pretty cheap (Under $2k for a rebuilt longblock with a warranty).

Surplus City Jeep Parts - Parts and accessories for Military Jeeps and Trucks.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam Werner in Tracy City has (or had) some good cores including one I gave him last year. He advertises in MVM.:wink:

BillF

I have a correct m38 engine for sale. it is a flathead L-134 4 cly. Mine is apart and in dencent shape. Located in Northern NH. I also have other m38 parts I would sell.

Wild Horse Hans

As I recall the main difference between the military 134 flathead and the CJ 134 flathead is that the military has a timing chain and the CJ has timing gears. Also if still there the gen bracket will be 2 piece on the military.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks