• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Search Function Help In Chat

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone that sees this today and would like to start a once a week "How to use the Steel Soldiers Site " Jam session, Please meet in the Chat room tonight at 9-10 pm est. Lets share some ideas together to improve our use of the SS site. To start with, I would like to discuss effective search methods. Maybe with some help we can put together a good" FAQ on how to search effectively". If this time-frame/day is no good for you, post up and we'll make it work for everyone.Hope to see you all there

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why bother searching, when you can ask dumb questions like "how do I turn on the windshield wipers on the deuce?" on here..........................

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
Why bother searching, when you can ask dumb questions like "how do I turn on the windshield wipers on the deuce?" on here..........................
The most common reply to a question of that caliber would go something like this. "it's in the TMs, do a search, etc..."

The next post by the same person would be,"I did and there was 177 results" or I did, or I have no luck using the search."

I would like to "Jam" some on a regular schedule and cover some topics that we all need help on or that can improve the way we use the site(not change it).For some reason it seems that most threads that hit on this seem to loose interest fast or just turn into B!tc% sessions. I would like to see if real time chat would improve our ability to help each other. Please join in Mark, I know you must have some good ideas!

Just trying....

DanMartin

If the TMs were in a place where they would be searchable by Google, it would be easier (a little) to find stuff in them. Currently most of our TMs are behind a form that cannot be directly downloaded, so google does not index the info therein.

(Of course, many of the PDF files are image scans...so that would be another issue to try to resolve via OCR).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one owns a truck, shouldn't they own the manuals especially since you can download them for free? Later versions of Adobe can search entire folders of PDF documents. Aslo by having them on your own machine makes them available at any time, even when Googe or your server is off line.

jasonjc

Recovry4x4 said:
If one owns a truck, shouldn't they own the manuals especially since you can download them for free? Later versions of Adobe can search entire folders of PDF documents. Aslo by having them on your own machine makes them available at any time, even when Googe or your server is off line.
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

Recovry4x4 said:
:ditto: :ditto: But that would be just to easy Kenny rofl

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2100 time check

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2200,Class dismissed! Thanks to those who were in tonight to help. Next Wednesday, same time and place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks