• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce update

stagehc

Here are some pics as I go along. Notice the new muffler welded into the stack. MUCCCHHHH better than stock. Boxes on rear chassis rail are the air assist steering I'm going to install this weekend! Next comes re-installing the rear crossmember, reconnecting the glad hands, bleeding the brakes, adding extra fuel tank to drivers side, flipping the hubs for super singles, installing 395/85 xml's on the rims and mounting them, adding a soft top, installing the m105 bed and, ummmm, oh yeah, painting it. hmmm, might get it done by the 4th of July!

Cheers from over here,

Cole

M1075

Sweet! Thanks for the update and the pics. I have always wanted to go 4x4 with super singles and lockers, but I don't have the guts or motivation. Keep us posted.

red devils dude

two things
1. cool grille
2. that is a LOT of work and all I want to get done this summer is get the engine back together, paint truck get plates, drive.

Pappa-G

4 Wheel steering- [thumbzup] Very Cool, I saw a half finished M37 with a Mopar 440 and 727 automatic. He was putting in hydraulic steering fron a combine. Alot of project left to do all for a $2000.00 entry fee. More than I want to get into. ~ Pappa-G

mangus580

bigo, we had a severe forum crash in the beginning of august. When we resurrected the data, we were unable to keep attachments from the previous data. Hopefully with luck, some of the original posters will submit their attachments again.

Sorry for the confusion....

hummin2london

Well, I'm back now. Did not get the bob job done by july 4th, but I'll be driving it home next weekend. I'll post pics after that. I'm still waiting on a set of rims to arrive to mount the XML's on but I have to admit that it looks really cute on the 900x20's. My misses says it looks like her old grampy's stake side pickup but, well, bigger;-)

I had to re-submit for an account as my old one did not seem to survive the august crash...

hummin2london

Bobjob is done. I drove it 3.5 hours home on Monday. Pulls any hill in 5th and goes like a scalded monkey. Still on9x16 ndt's at the moment so tops out at 55mph. Bead lock rims from usa6x6 should be here any day now so I can mount the xml's. Air Force security on the base almost split a seam when I drove up to the gate yesterday.

I'll send complete pics this weekend after I break out the camera.

Cheers mates,

M1075

Beadlocks

I can't wait to see the pics. It's gonna look awesome! Just be prepared to be patient, real patient, when waiting on stuff from USA6x6. My stuff took 6 months. You'll forget about the wait once you get them mounted. Be prepared to address a few leaks though.

hummin2london

Maybe because I'm a service guy overseas, but I've always been treated really well by Daniel at usa6x6. My rims are in the mail (to my mil post box) and are probably going on a vacation to some garden spot in the universe before they get here, but at least they are on the way. Hey, I just saw the news from Iraq and that duece had rims that look really familiar, heeeyyyy, wait a minute...;-)

hummin2london

Bkoyle said:
How is the ride on the bobbed deuce? Is it harsher? Is it more or less difficult to steer?

Thanks
Here are the pics. The ride is great (for a duece!). The springs much softer than the twin axle truck. I'm keeping one of the xml's om the back just to keep a little weight in it at the moment. Right now its still on the 900x16's until the rims arrive for hte xml's. I've been driving it to work all last week and have really enjoyed it. My boys think its the coolest thing since sliced bread ;-) The m105 body is a bit ratty but it was extremely cheap and now that I know it works, will have the rusty bits cut out and good sheet metal inserted. I have 3 humvee troop seats, one for the forward bulkhead and one down each side to haul mine and my kids ice hockey teams around it. Front seats are really cushy Rover car seats mounted on Mitsubishi Montero suspended seat base, much better than th stock suspension seat. Rides a treat now. A set of mickey mouse ears actually make it easier to talk to each other as it cuts down the ambient noise. THe muffler is a Dynomax racing unit and is much throatier but still a bit loud. Was it worth it? YES! Total time, maybe 7 or 8 long days of hard graft. It's going to take a little time to work some of the bugs out but thats all part of getting an old truck back on the road (threw the fan belts last night around midnight :-(

Anyway, fire away if you have questions.

Cheers!

Attachments

hummin2london

Oh, yeah, and as soon as I find a ratty old stuffed rabbit plushy toy, its getting zip tied to the grill between the teeth! (which the wife hates, threatens to paint eyelashes around the headlights!!!)

c-

M1075

The deuce is looking great. I can't wait to see it on the XMLs. It will be outrageous! When did you order the wheels and when do you expect them?

hummin2london

I ordered them in mid august and he mailed them to me around the second week of Sep by bulk mail. That means with any luck they should be here any day now. I've got a local shop who will mount the rims and tires for cash. Poor suckers have no idea what they are in for! I'm planning on driving the big dog all the way from here to the NATO School in Oberammergau, Germany the second week of Nov. Its about a thousand miles. I'm really hoping the rims get here in time to mount them as I'd really rather not go all that way on 9x16 ndt's.

Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks