• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howard Hammond's yard

snuffy

I couldn't have built my M37 without Howard's yard. My understanding is that he died. What's happened since. I heard Buddy was selling everything out as scrap. Anybody been up there since? Did anybody manage to buy a lot of the salvage?

Snuffy (Mike Pilcher)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Howard Hammond

Hey Mike, didn't know you were a member here. Good to see you again. I think Gimpyrobb was one of the last to be at Buddy's place. I hear its mostly gone.

snuffy

howard's

Looks like some enterprising person would have jumped in and bought a lot of stuff. There's a new dealer in Ohio I'm seeing talked about a lot. He's supposed to have a lot of
151 parts. That kind of "smells" like Howard's loot.

Yeah, Kenny. I've been a member for a good while, but I've mostly just been lurking.
Good to make contact again!

Mike

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was there last fall and he was scrapping full speed. I've been aiming to go back but I doubt there's much of anything left by now. I don't think he sold any big lots of stuff to anyone. He has just been slowly hauling it to the scrap yard. He does have some pretty good deals on anything that's left though. You could still find some hidden treasures when I was there but you have to really look in the weeds and under stuff to find it.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: howard's

snuffy said:
Yeah, Kenny. I've been a member for a good while, but I've mostly just been lurking.
Good to make contact again!

Mike
Hi Mike! Good to see you here buddy. It's been a long time!

I haven't been to Howard's since 2005 when that dang Gama Goat almost killed me. I came home with a goat and about 10-15 ticks and chiggers. Buddy was stacking up aluminum goat tubs like pulp wood when I was there. I bet there is some good scrap money in a goat these days! I wonder how many ex-US military trucks you have to melt down to make a Chinese fighter jet?

How's your M37?

snuffy

Goat

Hi Chris! Good to hear from you. Is that goat up and running? I always wanted one but always felt I was a little too mechanically and technicaly challenged to work on one. My M37's OK. I've had to "bring it back" a couple of times since you saw it. I'm working on a 151 now and gathering parts for a GPW.

Now, if I just had time for working on my stuff!

I'm sticking around so I'll be in touch,

Mike

snuffy

goat

Who'd a thunk it! All those old hulks at Howard's sure seemed a long way from going cross country!

Glad to hear it!

Mike

m35a2kevin

RE: goat

yeah,
the couple with the goat was parked next to us in green section, i could have never done that in the duece,
after four hours i can barely walk,, ha ha
kevin

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, I'm going to try and make one more trip up there if I find time. There's a storage box there that is full to the top with TMs that I didn't get time to go through last time I was there. I'll let you know if I go.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Goat

snuffy said:
Hi Chris! Good to hear from you. Is that goat up and running? I always wanted one but always felt I was a little too mechanically and technicaly challenged to work on one. My M37's OK. I've had to "bring it back" a couple of times since you saw it. I'm working on a 151 now and gathering parts for a GPW.

Now, if I just had time for working on my stuff!

I'm sticking around so I'll be in touch,

Mike
Sounds like you have your hands full, Mike! As the other Mike said, the Goat was sold to John before I did anything to it. John did a phenomenal job restoring it!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went by Hammonds yard today. Most everything is gone. If you have been there in the past you wouldn't know the place. When I say most everything I mean there was a few van trailers left with tires and picked over parts and that's it. The container is still there with all the TMs but I didn't get a chance to go through it. He did have a small pile of stuff that he had set aside and in it was a 45,000# winch (which is the reason I stopped by). I got the winch but was hoping to find some parts for Gimpyrobb but I think they're on a slow boat to China by now.

m52a2

If the 45,000 lb winch is a braden from an m911 i"m looking for information helpfull when hooking one up for use. like is the nipple on top of the hydraulic moter a break release that uses air or hydraulic pressure ? etc...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks