• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Discolored/shellaced(?) gas

Boatcarpenter

My friend in town that owns a auto salvage yard pulls and drains many of the fuel tanks off vehicles that come in. He saves any fuel that looks reasonably fresh for himself. Any that looks as though it has "gone by", he stores in barrels and has to pay to get rid of. Well, he offered it to me if I could use it. I'm thinking that if I drew it out of the barrels, let it settle for a while, drew off and filtered any that didn't have any visible crap in it and then mixed at 60/40 or 50/50 diesel gas that would work.
Any thoughts? Too fussy, too much filtering? Just grab the stuff, filter out the rust chunks and throw it in the tank. :idea:
BC

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe 25/75, of gas to diesel. Once my Dad, trying to help me, put 5 gallons of diesel in my M37. That had to have been about 50/50. The old girl ran that mix pretty good. Talk about upper cylinder lubrication...... I just didn't want to let it idol much, cause the fumes would burn your eyes.

If the fuel density compensator is still operable, I would go for it. Especially if your running +5 fuel. That is heavy #2, that we get here, but only in the summer. It gels at +5f. A trick we use here, if its in a 55 gallon barrel, is to wait till winter. especially, if it has some water in it. The gunk is frozen it the bottom,under the water, and doesn't get stirred up, when you try to get the good stuff.

Lee in Alaska

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as there's no rust or other crap in it, I'd run it. Had 15 gallons of old gas in mine before, didn't care. Maybe I need to talk to the salvage yards, and use the old gas to cut my used motor oil.

Boatcarpenter

Hey Stretch, that's what I thought. Get any solids out of it and run it in a mix. He has at least 200 gallons of it and maybe more. Think I'll start to put together a filtering setup.
Thanks guys, :driver:
BC

papercu

gas

Anyone need used motor oil? I'll need to check how much we have but I would say at the very least there are 2 55gal. drums. Location Baxley,Ga. Wayne

southdave

RE: gas

I use a barrel pump with a filter on it to retieve from barrels , where I get it, I use a shorten pick uptube so all the heavy crap is left on the bottom. when it comes home I more or less do the same, as run it though a water heater, which help separtes the water and anti-freezer from the mix. I get about 2-5 gal of water out 50 gal. of oil. I also run it though another filter while it warm never tried gas though just diesel and the useal supect of oil.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I'd get a couple of the filter bags and run it through them first. I just loaded up on about a 5% gasoline and 95% auto trans fluid cocktail and have no problems. Starts easily and runs great on the road. My FDC is still hooked up but I mixed the gasoline in only to thin the mixture down so that when I transfer it from my storage barrel to the the truck it goes quicker. I made a transfer pump out of a 12 volt fuel pump and run it off one of the truck batteries.

Boatcarpenter

OK, so from reading various posts, it seems that gas to UMO mix runs about 50/50.Gas to diesel is suggested at maybe 25gas/75 diesel. I have approx. 22/23 gals. of diesel in my tank. Was going to add 20gal. of gas and then top off with diesel. That would be about 2/5 gas to 3/5 diesel. Figuring that 2 cycle engines scream at 40 or 50 to 1 ratio, to be on the safe side I thought I would mix fresh Wally-world cheap oil at 25/1 with the gas to add libricity. Does this sound like a good safe way to use the junk gas, or am I being too cautious?
Thanks for the prevoius comments and any you may have on this plan.
BC :driver:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I get the FedEx stuff...or anything else, I mix it at around 65-75 diesel and the rest gas. I mix it in a regular barrel, 55 gal or some smaller 20 gal ones, usually by just filling the container with a vane pump...no filter. Then, after it sits a bit, I use a 12vdc flammable liquid pump..like the ones in the bed tanks farmer or contruction guys use..thru a 10 micron filter/seperator. I have had no issues to date, and have put easily 500 gallons thru the beast... Local and long trips. I just got 45 gallons more last Wed. It is mostly gas, so, i'll have to add a bit of diesel to it. I love Fed Ex! :D

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

OK Will, thanks. You run a little bit more diesel to gas than I was planning this first try with a blend so I think for starters I will add plenty of oil to the gas and see how she runs. Should have plenty of lubricity. I'll see how much difference in smoke out the stack I get. First run is going to be at least a 60 mile highway run, so should be a good test.
Thanks again,
BC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks