• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash switch I.D. question

razrbacman

My buddy's M35 has an oval shaped key-pad mounted inthe dash on the left side of the steering column. We are deuce novices, so we are not in the loop on different options available. The engine in the truck was manufactured in 7-77, but this definitely is not 70's tech.

The truck came straight from Ft. Leonardwood, MO and is unadulterated.

Any help to explain this add-on is appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That, my friend is your light swith. Its the newer style but I wouldn't be too vocal about it. There is a contingent of folk here who really don't like it. Operation, push any button to get a backlight and it ready for operation. Select the light function you wish and press enter and you will have your selection. Since you are new to deuces I suggest you rear the quote in my signature below, go to the resource tab at the top ans scroll to Tech Manuals and download those manuals. You guys have some reading to do before you operate the truck.

razrbacman

I knew it was the light switch, just didn't know if it was something special. By the sound of your reply, I shouldn't make any waves about it.
Why did the govt. go with something like that compared to the old switch with handles on it? Is my buddy's switch something that is failure prone while miles from the shop?
Thanks, Razrbac

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've got 3 of the new and 5 of the old in my trucks. I have not had any issues with the new ones at all. There is concern that a poor ground on the switch can cause it to fail. But if it's a concern, pick up an old 3 lever switch off epay for 40-50 bucks and carry it in the truck.

Jones

No problems here with mine. The first batchs had problems and liked to set themselves on fire but those are pretty much all out of the loop and gone by now.
I took Bjorn's lead and run my lights off of relays that the light switch commands. Since the push-button light switch is a mini-computer, it is static sensitive; so make sure the seperate ground wire to the switch case is the first thing you connect and the last thing you disconnect when installing or removing the switch.

saddamsnightmare

RE: Re: Dash switch I.D. question

April 27th, 2008.

Dear Razorbacman:

I refitted my 1971 Kaiser Jeep with one of these that was a take off from another deuce going to scrap and , man, the improvement over the old three lever is measurable at night it's much easier to find and set up the lights. Just follow Recovery4x4's and Jone's directions above, and you'll have no problem. I used a #14 stranded ground with crimed ring terminals at either end, hooked up to the switch's ground screw, then one of the steering post firewall bracket screws that had a good clean contact area, hooked that end up and then connected the main harness collar and voila, it worked. The unit has to have a good anti-static connection to ground, and some of the later military vehicles did not have the all metal construction associated with the deuce, and so their switches had static related failures. It's probably the only "Star Wars" item on the old deuce, and likely the only thing that the modern computer nerd GI's can relate to on these old girls.... DO READ THE -10,-20 and -30 Series manuals Kenny recommends above before you run the truck, and DO THE MAINTENANCE, particularly on the brakes and running gears, because of their size, these vehicles do not forgive a mistake or a failure very well....

Good Luck mit de truck,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Truck
""??"" Johnson Mfg.Co. M105A2 Cargo Trailer, MERDC or NATO woodland camo, Okla. Army NG unit
1967 Hercules MEP23A Gasoline Generator Set---OD Green
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog Truck, S404.114 Mercedes Benz, NATO green rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks