• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

International 4700/4900 series????

mhodges

So I've seen a few of the newer internationals that are four wheel drive and are being loaded at the terminals (sand colored so presumably going to the sandbox out east) and it's got me thinking, I've seen mil spec internationals going on govliquidation, but they are few and far between and often pretty beat up. Well a decent, higher mileage, yet less than 10 yr old International flatbed, daycab tractor, etc. could be had for a fair price, and they are around the same class truck as a 5ton, with hydraulic brakes available, and share the 10 bolt budd pattern, hey, why not buy a 4x2 international, with all the modern creature comforts, paint it OD, and throw a 5 ton transfer case and axles under it for all the utility of green iron? would this be worthwhile? anybody done something similar to a truck of theirs? I mean, i know VAPCO and community electric own nice conversion int'ls done by trucking companies like marman-herrington, but this would be a cool project for the average joe.... thoughts?

edit: maybe something like this? bobbed 5ton 4x4 international 4700 w/ DT466. (photoshopped truck down to 10' bed from 24' bed, then added carc in paint lol.)

Attachments

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will astound you at how much Marmon-Harrington & Fabco components cost! IF you can find them used...They will also cost an arm & leg.

Your best bet it to watch auctions like Nation Wide for utility company 4x4's. At least the DMV (here in cali that is) insists that the auctioned trucks are road worthy.

good luck!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was actually looking into this a while back, Macon. I found a crew-cab IH that I was going to put 5-ton axles under and use it as the ultimate family/MV hauler. It was really cheap, but it had a 5th wheel hitch, a service crane, and a wheel lift tow unit! It would have been a great service truck for the East Coast Convoy. The only negative was that it had the 9.0L diesel and not the DT466. I got busy with my 5-ton and never followed up on the project. It's still in the back of my mind though.

Rattlehead

Why not just throw an IH cab onto a 5 ton?

I thought about doing this before I bought my first MV, but was going to use a 73-87 Chevy C60 cab and front end. Actually I would still like to do this for a bobbed truck, I always liked that era body style.

mhodges

yeah theres actually a guy selling an old power co. truck that has fabco parts on it for about 1000 running, only an hour from here...but i'd rather go the 5ton route- looking to do some long distance hauling at highway speeds (which will prolly require an overdrive to compensate for axle ratio) with family and friends, so the international cab would be nice for that- plus it would make a nice deuce transporter/recovery vehicle for future green iron!

BobS

There is a reason the IH S-line trucks and it's later derivitives do not come 4x4 (until the current generation, as a matter of fact). 3 basic companies (Tulsa Trucks, Special Trucks, Inc., and IH/TSPC) were the companies that converted 4x2 IH's to the "factory" 4x4 conversions. When I started in my career at IH, I worked at TSPC (Truck Sales and Processing Center) in Fort Wayne and had a bit more than nodding aquaintance with STI, also in Fort Wayne (STI was started by Mark Sherbinsky, a former IH engineer).

The main problem is the location of the front axle to the oil pan/oil sump for engine to axle clearance at full jounce. Simply put, you ain't gonna get them to fit without EXTENSIVE frame modifications to the base IH frame. Steering is a lesser problem (ripping the gearbox off the frame), as well as dash panel (what non-automotive people call a "firewall") to t/case and driveline clearance.

You would be better off by taking a cab and tilt hood from an S-line and cobbling up cab mounts and rear "cab bridge" than trying to utilize and undersized and inadequate original frame of the IH (or GM, or Ford, or Freightliner, or whatever).

mhodges

I have been thinking about some of the above issues you mentioned Bob, and studying the two IH's 4900's in our fleet, and see where it may be close but from just basic measurements, looks like it will work. Not trying to make some huge mud monster, just an MV toter that will be nice on the highway, but get me where I need to go offroad as well. Most likely will be running stock size rubber, just more aggressive tread. My first choice would be a deuce airshift tcase- no sprags to deal with, plenty of strength, and divorced- which, if i space it back, should eliminate any cab issues, but would create an awful long front driveshaft(may have clearance issues with the gen pto- but was planning to put a separate gen on anyway). Also, the trucks I am looking at have the cast iron, drop center front i beam axle, so the front of the truck will ride higher than stock due to difference in spindle hieght in relationship to the suspension. I will probably be getting some CAD dwg's done up to mock everything out in paper- going to try and get some dimensions or at least pics from the 5 ton TM for the axle. Would be using a 5 ton rear as well, just to match ratio's and keep simplicity. If there's any other tech info that you think would be useful, i would really appreciate it. and i am not by any means new to fabbing custom suspensions from scratch or doing conversions, but one this size will be my first.

BobS

http://www.optitruck.com/

This is a basic engineering program that is fairly easy to use that will give you some of the offroad mobility answers you will need to select parts. They offer a free 15day trial period for the software and you can download it at:

http://www.optitruck.com/setup.exe

I would recommend you go through the information on that site and see what it all involves. I can answer any questions you may have about utilizing it for your basic calculations on what will or will not work. By using this kind of program, you will save money building something that you will regret later......

(Note: I have no financial interest in this company, I just use their product myself, in conjunction with some other programs like CATIA.)

ADDENDUM: From the site:

"...OptiTruck has six main calculation functions. These are filled in using truck specification and accessory data. The functions are Weight Distribution, Horsepower/Gradeability, Dumpbody & Hoist, Hydraulic System Sizing, Crane Stability and Frame Strength Calculations. Using these core modules to lay down clear engineering-based limits, OptiTruck can ensure the equipment and truck are closely matched for optimum performance.

OptiTruck’s advanced Weight Distribution module has separate sub-menus for straight truck, straight truck and trailer, and tractor semi-trailer. This module will prove of particular value when calculating axle weights when positioning equipment such as cranes. This process can involve a number of complex calculations using traditional methods.

With OptiTruck, key data is entered either via an entry wizard or directly into a graphical interface. The wizard prompts for specific truck data, ensuring all relevant information is keyed in before allowing a calculation to be made. This can greatly reduce the chance of calculation errors.

OptiTruck also makes sure sales and engineering personnel stick to fixed ground rules. Limitations or questionable inputs are flagged by the software, so what can and cannot be achieved in engineering terms is clearly outlined. This one feature alone is of tremendous value as it prevents unrealistic truck and equipment specifications.

OptiTruck leads the user through the program, only completing a given menu when all parameters have been entered. This approach prevents shortcuts and missed information, and will help reduce the chance of errors creeping into a calculation. The program will also ensure design engineers have full access to relevant specifying data, an issue that can often be overlooked by sales personnel.

...."

mhodges

hey bob- pm sent.... all others- please feel free to provide any input as i want to search out all venues before i go about doing this... i know we have creative minds on here who come from all sorts of walks and specialities, surely somebody has done something similar themselves!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks