• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn Signal/Hazard Problems...

ems4ty

Okay, here's the deal. My rear wiring harness on my M35 was shot. So, I pulled it out, cut off the metal 8 Pin & 12 Pin Connectors and made my own new wiring harness. Not really all that difficult. So, I grab my trusty TM and wire it per the schematic. I also added 2 addional wires for right hand Stop/Turn signal and tail light conversion. All is well, I have brake lights, left/right turn, and both blackouts.

However, my problem is this. When I hit the hazards, only the drivers side flashes. Passenger side is dead. Looking at the fabulous PDF that "Peter Bog" (I Think) had made from a CAD File of the M35 Electrical Wiring, It appears that the turn signal flasher only outputs the drivers side Stop/Turn indicator when the hazards are activated. Is this true what I am reading? Has anyone been able to make them both work? Is there a newer turn signal unit that incorporates both left and right lights during a hazards? Or am I just a bone head and its staring me in the face? :?

Thanks,

Barrman

You are using the newer solid state flasher box, right?

I would look at your blinker arm itself. Here is why. You are getting left and right blinker and both brake lights. The wires, flasher and lights are working. The only thing that is different when you put it in flasher is the turn signal arm position. Pull the arm off another vehicle and see if the problem continues is my suggestion.

ems4ty

I was thinking something like that, but this is/was a new turn signal unit. The arm goes up, pull the lever out and go up again to the hazard position. I've even jiggled it around to see if maybe a loose connection. Frusterated and getting no where, I looked at the CAD Drawing that I found in another post on SS and it appears that Drivers Brake Light is the only one that is supposed to flash when the hazards are on. I'll post the CAD Drawing (converted to PDF in just a moment.) Looking at the schematic, its hard to tell the actual physical movements of the mechanical linkages inside the unit. Put purely looking at it, its kind of obvious in theory.

Anyone else got any hints?

Thanks

Attachments

ems4ty

Well, ladies and gents, I found the problem. It's the turn signal unit on the steering column. If I push the lever all the way up until it stops, then I have right harzard signal along with the left. If I let the lever rest in its normal position, then no Right Hazard Flasher. So, that's the problem. (Kinda hard to do when I have no one else to help spot the lights.)

So, that brings me to one final question. Can you take these units apart? If so, when I go to open it, do I need to worry about a bunch of springs and/or small parts flying out? Or, would I be better off just buying another flasher unit? If so, thats a bummer because I bought this one brand new about 5-6 months ago. Is this a common failure? I can do without the hazard, but its nice to have since these machines aren't the most reliable on the planet.

Thanks for all your help!

ems4ty

Ahhh... Found the problem. Opened up the switch today to take a peak inside. My switch is brand new, so I was kinda wondering why I already was having a problem. Anyways, found 2 of the contact levers that needed to be bent up a tad. (Lost its arch and wasn't riding on the cam all the way.) Anyways, 10 minutes into it and now all is well. Thanks again for the help fellas!

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I would throw my 2cents in in this one
....be very aware that alot of the" NEW" turn signal
comtrols floating around the shows and swap meets
are cheap knock offs from across the pond!!!
They look nice .........but are made with less than accepable
materials. The metal contacts in the " Mil- spec " ones
contain a metal alloy with lots of barrillium I think it is,
this allows them to flex thousands of times and still retain
their tension and not go afowl.excuse the spelling......not my
strong suit..........popacom/ Bill :beer:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I would throw my 2cents in in this one
....be very aware that alot of the" NEW" turn signal
controls floating around the shows and swap meets
are cheap knock offs from across the pond!!!
They look nice .........but are made with less than accepable
materials. The metal contacts in the " Mil- spec " ones
contain a metal alloy with lots of barrillium I think it is,
this allows them to flex thousands of times and still retain
their tension and not go afowl.excuse the spelling......not my
strong suit..........popacom/ Bill :beer:

jwentz57

I just picked up a m35a2 last night and found out that the turn signals where not working I am new to owning a mv and not sure if it me or the truck the truck has a light switch problem can any one shed some light on this

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks