• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Veggie/diesel mix

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Sorry if this has been discussed before and I missed it but I just got a good buy on an 87 Ford Ranger diesel.
The owner said he had been running veggie/diesel mixture.
Anybody else do this?
What is a good mixture?

I'm in AL so low temp is not a problem right now.

Thanks for any help.

5tonpuller

wreckerman893 said:
Sorry if this has been discussed before and I missed it but I just got a good buy on an 87 Ford Ranger diesel.
The owner said he had been running veggie/diesel mixture.
Anybody else do this?
What is a good mixture?

I'm in AL so low temp is not a problem right now.

Thanks for any help.
Thats what I been using in the my wrecker. I mix it 1/2. The pump still needs that slip that oil gives it. I know the $ for the pump stuff is high, but what the price of inj. pump and injectors.
If you need more PM me.
Matt :)

ygmir

RE: Re: Veggie/diesel mix

I've heard there may be longer term issues with mixing diesel and WVO or SVO and precipitating waxes from solution........
I've not done it, thoug, so can't speak directly.
Please keep us informed.

jefe066

From what I understand, the veggie oil will slip past the rings until engine at operating temp. The veg. oil will then polymerize in the bottom end. Changing the lube oil sooner, maybe half miles, you can avoid too many problems. At least after filtering the wmo you could use it as fuel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The proportions of veggie oil to diesel will depend on how you are using your truck IMHO.
If you are on a long trip and run the fuel down (in the tank) constantly, use a higher percentage of VO, perhaps 80%, it is kept warm by the return flow.
If you use the truck in a stop and start, now and then, use a lower percentage, perhaps 20% VO or you'll have trouble starting the engine in the morning even if the temp doesn't drop below 60°F.

I'm talking from multifuel engine experience, the Ford Ranger may not be as coopertive.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Four weeks of running 1/2 veggie and 1/2 kerosene (4 bucks a gallon) and the Ranger is running great. No problems starting so far.
I am going to build my heat exchanger and switching system as soon as I can so I can cut down my overhead.
If I can get more clean oil I will be converting a deuce or 5 ton to veggie soon.

superburban

wreckerman893 said:
Four weeks of running 1/2 veggie and 1/2 kerosene (4 bucks a gallon)...
Where do you buy your kerosene? Here in Utah, kerosene is used mainly as a portable space heater fuel and is sold for around 8$ a gallon.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I get it at a convience store enroute to my job.
There was another place selling it for 3.50 a gallon but they are habitually out (maybe someone else discovered the secret).
My price for fuel is about 2.25 a gallon if you count my time and effort to strain the veggie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks