• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about burning used Motor Oil as Fuel.

TiredIron

With today's fuel prices what they are....I'm now wondering about adding used Motor Oil to my fuel. I'm on an Airport where private aircraft owners are always looking for a place to dump their used oil. My biggest question to you that are doing this...how are you filtering the oil before you dump it in your tanks...??? How clean does it have to be before you worry about clogging injectors or damaging a pump??? One extreme method of filtering that I have heard about.....involves using a one inch "cloth" rope stuck into a oil source and drapped over to a lower catch tank. The theory is that the oil it literly "siphoned" by gravity through the cloth rope filtering all the dirt out. It of course takes forever. I've thought about pumping it through an oil filter system.....or crudely draining through coffee filters..??
Any ideas...??
Thanks
TiredIron

area52

If you search on here and the internet, there are alot of ideas on how to properly filter the used motor oil before using it.

I am planning on doing this in the near future and I am going to use a small centrifuge to clean the oil first. I have read that most people only use the motor oil in small percentages with diesel also.

Blood_of_Tyrants

1. Thoroughly mix used motor 50/50 with regular gasoline and let it sit over night.

2. Pour all but the last inch into the tank

3. Start

4. Drive

Just sold one to a guy who drove the truck 200 miles on a tank of used MO and gasoline.

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
1. Thoroughly mix used motor 50/50 with regular gasoline and let it sit over night.

2. Pour all but the last inch into the tank

3. Start

4. Drive

Just sold one to a guy who drove the truck 200 miles on a tank of used MO and gasoline.

:ditto: our trucks that we drove back from shelby had a mix of WMO/ gasoline, and the other had WMO/Diesel. Both ran like champs

joesco

Go to Ebay and purchase a 25 micron nylon sock filter for about $10.00. Fits perfectly in the tank filler neck and will filter excellent. The nylon socks can be cleaned over and over. I am using two 25 micron sock filters together and just ordered two 5 micron sock filters. But I made a pre-filter using an old 10 gallon air tank installed with a perforated 3/4 pipe that holds a paper towel roll. It slowly filters the wmo overnight for me. Just starting to process about 40 gallons of wmo. Can't wait to run it 75/25 in Brutus.

Pawnshop

I am not so worried about burning it as transporting and storing it! I have a buddy that is an EPA cop for the Texas Attourney General's office, I will ask him tomorrow.

bottleworks

bmH1065 said:
There is no law against using used motor oil is there?
You are not paying road taxes on UMO that is being burned on road. Tax man doesn't like that. The "additive" line of reasoning is a gray area. I would bet it wouldn't fly in any court.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't worry too much about WMO and taxes. There isn't any red dye in it. And if i get socked again, i'll say i have a 40 year old fuel tank that needs to be cleaned. I think the addiive story is how they get away with only selling B99 bio not B100.

beaubeau

As far as Legalitty goes, are not these MVs considered Off Road vehicles? Is it not true that a Multifuel is for running Multiplicity of fuels? I have been buying Offroad diesel and adding WMO to it. Has a way of Discoloring Dyed fuel oil. Anyway, how many times has anyone been stopped driving a military vehicle? The last time I was stopped in a military vehicle was in 1969 while in Viet Nam. I got a speeding ticket for driving 35 in a 25mph zone. Phil

randyscycle

I don't think the contents of your fuel tank will be of much consequence to the local authorities, if you don't have ICC numbers on your truck, or are not overloaded on the interstate.

I drove my M715 around with no state inspection sticker for months, regularly passing cops with not one even taking notice. They were too busy looking at the truck to notice the details.

55Cameo

I have seen them check fuel tanks at tractor auctions. They go around the parking lot and check everyones tank and ticket the ones with dyed fuel in them heavily. I have never heard of anyone checking a military truck though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks