• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stearing Gear Box Problem...

ems4ty

So, my stearing gear box has been noisy for a while. When I turn the wheel is makes a load screaching sound. So, I decided to check the gear box and found that the previous owner removed the fluid (Gear oil per the TM) and filled it up with grease. I then removed as much grease as possible, flushed it out, and filled it up with G.O. as recommended. The next day, I found that my gear box is leaking all over the place. Big bummer in my book.

Question is this, anyone have a good resource for repairing the gear box? Anyone taken one apart and rebuilt it/replace the seals? If so, where did you find the seals for the box or is it advisable to get another one and just swap it out?

Thanks,

dabtl

Rebuilding it can be frustrating, to say the least.

NickD has an article in a past MV Mag on this which is very helpful to you. I suggest you get the copy for reference.

Personally, I was unable to follow all of Nick's steps as his motor is set just a bit further away from the steering box than mine. I had to use a hoist and remove the front engine mounts and rear mounts to allow it to lift the engine an inch or so.

Get the rebuild kit from Memphis which has the bearings and the bushings while you are at it.

I assembled the gear box and steering shaft on the work bench just as did Nick and placed the cover on last after the steering lever was inserted after the box was mounted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks