• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trip out west

t120r

After a couple of years retro fitting a 1967 Kaiser M109 it is ready for the trip to drive out to Wyoming (from Maryland) to drop it off and leave it for future fun trips. It has about 1470 hours with 13,500 miles. Re did the brakes and seals all around.
Put selectros on front and pulled the rear most axles out and put hub covers from the front on.Since deisel fuel is around $4.50 a gallon I figured why not.
I will be pulling a dually M105 trailer with 2 dirt bikes and other stuff figure the trailer will weigh about 5500#.

I put 2 more 6t batteries under driiver side tool bow. Hooked that to a 1000 amp marine swith so i have 1/2 or both battery packs to use. Have a 10,000 watt 24 volt inverter in back for AC and whatnot. Put 2 stepdown dc to dc converters which put out 40 amps continuios.

So i hope this old girl does not break down. After all the chatter about oil filters/oiling and injector pumps I wonder how the 2000 mile trip will go. I plan on taking 70w then get on 80w for the rest of the way. Any feedback on a long trip done by others will be greastly appreciated.

MD.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll see if anyone can dig up the thread where Cranetruck did his cross country trip for you to read. I've done a few 2000 mile trips and the deuce has never let me down. When I'm travelling alone, I eat on the run so I never shut the truck down. Works for me.

Rattlehead

Sounds like a fun adventure.

Are you planning on the AC to be run off your alternator output? The stock 60A alternator would be maxxed out for even a small window ac unit.

Mike_Pop

When are you leaving? I'll be making a trip from NJ to NV in a couple weeks and then returning a few days later.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change engine oil/filters before you go. Change engine oil/filters before you go.
Bring extra turn signal flasher(s), headlight and light bulbs.
Stick reflector tape on the back of your truck, you want to be seen at all times driving slower then most.
Keep in touch with this forum...best company you can have on the road.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck and have fun.

If you need help around Dayton, Oh I'm a few miles off of I-70.

steve

t120r

I am leaving may 31 from outside Baltimore and arrive in Rock Springs around June 6th. I put a 24 volt strobe high up on the rear M109 body. Plus I put clearance lites all aroung. Seeing me will not be a problem. I also installed a wolo train horn with a lanyard for those peskey drivers who cut me off. With a 2500 watt generator on the right front fender and a 4500 watt mounted on the front of the M105 trailer running the 16,000 btu ac unit will not be a problem. I have tested my inverter for 8 hours of sub artic ac cool last summer when it was over 100 degrees. it worked flawless and started right up. With 2 battery packs running to this inverters for guys that would like to know I used 2 powerstream 24 volt to 13.8 converter model number PST-D 24/12-800 which have 40 amp continuios output. the inverter 24 volt to 120 volt is Aims model 5000 watt /10,000 peak model number PWRINV5K24W. If any one else is driving out at the same time i am game to tag along.

T120R MD.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently brought home a M109A3 from north Idaho to southern NM. 1600 Mi without incicent.
Last December brought home a M35A2 from Billings, 1100 mi. Just as I hit NM line the seal in the front of the injector pump starting leaking fuel into the crankcase. Made the last 400 mi without having to stop but upon arrival had to have the pump resealed. Has not run the same since?
Brought 2 more M35A2s from Santa Fe along with a complete field kitchen. 400 mi.
I now have more than one boy needs. 2 of those acquired have power assist steering.
Gary

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks