• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M274 Transmission shaft seal replacement question

newmule

The shift shaft seals in my transmission are seeping. Has anyone used or know where to get the tool that can remove the seals while the transmission is still installed in the vehicle. Here is the verbiage from the manual (TM 9-2320-246-34) that describes the method and tool for the removal of the shift shaft seals. “b. Removal of Encased Seals. (1) Position puller screw 7010310 over shift shaft and screw taper-threaded end into seal (fig 6-3). (2) Position puller body 7010311 (fig 6-4) over puller screw 7010310. Screw on puller nut 176050 which will pull plain encased seal out into puller body 7010311.” Any suggestions on an improvised method will be appreciated. I hate to have to pull the trans, disassemble just to install these. KB tools makes a similar tool for shaft seals on GM Turbo 400 transmissions. I checked the seal size and it is much smaller than that used on an M274 so I doubt it will work.

Thanks in advance

m38inmaine

I had one made from pictures in the manual at a local machine shop. If I can find it I would gladly loan it to you. It worked great for me.

Mark

newmule

Shaft Seal Tool

Mark,

If you find it and would be willing to loan it out that would be great. I have been also told that if I can remove even just the outer seal replacing one should do the trick. I received another suggestion to use an ice pick, pierce the seal at a 45 degree angle an carefully pry out just the outer seal and replace just the one.

NewMule Jim :D

newmule

Mark,

I sent you an email with my contact information. Let me know how you would like to proceed. Thanks for your efforts on this.

Regards,

newmule Jim

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's Bill Watson, he'll help you out greatly. He is the mule guru! :wink:

newmule

Thanks to all for the latest information. Mark has volunteered to lend me his shop made version. If it doesn't do the trick I get the KB one. Best Regards to all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks