• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help!! California HMMWV registration..

jpinst

I just came back for the CA DMV with my 1986 Am General HMMWV, listed on the Kansas title as "Hum V"

Its already insured as well. I went to the DMV to transfer title here in California. They needed to do a Vehicle inspection. Everything checked out, but the woman doing the inspection wrote that I had to be referred to the CHP because:

"No federal safety label located" and "KS accepts Manufactures serial number as the vin number. No other vin numbers found."

I thought that since it was already registered in another states this would be quite simple. What is the CHP going to do, and why do I have to go see them? I am confused and even the DMV people could not explain. The clerk said they would put it on a rack and look for the label.....but I am quite sure it does not have one.

Please advise

hole

In cali it is best to NEVER go to dmv for any MV regs. Go to a local private dmv registration service and pay the 50 to 100 to get your mv registered. They have their own licenced people do the inspection. No sweat

jpinst

Hey all. I followed some advice and went to a DMV registration service in Long Beach, CA. Fortunately, the DMV had not entered anything in the system yet. cost me $55 bucks and walked out the door the next day with plates. He said he will do the M35 when it gets here in two weeks. Done them before.

Second question: Why are my tax dollars going to these incompetent and useless DMV idiots?

hole

Glad it worked out! :wink: . As for the Dmv, their no differant than any public agency. 5 people lean on shovels (or desks) while 1 person haphazardly works.

Jones

They're thrown by the fact that they couldn't find a sticker that's normally applied to civilian vehicles. The correct entry into that particular section of the verification form is N/A (not applicable).
After the CHP (or if you can flag down a cooperative LEO) looks it over; politely tell them that, as explained to you, the stickers aren't applied to mil. vehicles simply because ALL the design requirements are stipulated and agreed to at the time the manufacturer bids the contract to manufacture the part, vehicle, system, etc. Heck, the military even dictates what kind of screws to use to hold a rear-view mirror on.
Second choice would be to got to your local Hummer dealer and buy a replacement sticker... it'll be in the same parts catalog section as the jacking instructions, fuel door fuel type, don't-bang-your-head-on-the-open-hood stickers are listed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks