• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I transplant engine, xmission, and transfer from a 1978

Alexander

into an 86 M1009? My snow plowing blazer has a good 350 and automatic (full time front drive) and transfer. The body is rusted to the point it's falling off the frame. Found a great M1009 with 80% of an engine, no transmission and no transfer. How much grief am I getting into. Worst case, the end product will not leave the property and just push snow. Best case, my kid can drive it to high school for about 2-3 years. Any thoughts?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should drop right in there. Few little things to deal with but not many. Just use the driveshafts and all the little linkages from the 78. You will need to secure up the wiring from the second alternator and just run 12V electrics. All of the stuff in the M1109 is 12V except the starting circuit anyway.

Alexander

Thanks for the positive response, Recovry4x4. There is still something bothering me about the transfer case. I seem to remember reading something about having to modify the transfer case if the front axle gets lock-outs like after market add-ons. I think the military Blazer has them, but my old civey one doesn't. I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly. It's hell getting old... :cry:

85-m1028

If your'e talking about a np203 t-case that is a full time transfer case meaning you have to keep the hubs locked up all the time or you will wear out the internals, I think there are kits available to make it a part time t-case but I don't know who maybe off road design, the 203 has a differential spider gear set 'similar to the one in your axle" that couples the front and rear drive shafts together, the low range is a sucky 1.98/1. I think looking into a part time chain drive t-case like the np208 may be a better option that could be found for cheap usually, 2.62/ 1 low range. just need to find an adapter to mate up to your tranny."whatever that is" t350 700r4 t400??

mangus580

I could supply a 208 case, complete with cross member if need be, ready to bolt to a turbo 400. Heck, I can even supply a recently (less than 10k miles) rebuilt turbo 400 with it. I am scrapping out my old pickup, and the tranny/case will be up for grabs. Plus I may someday finish my swap in my 1009 to an OD tranny, which would give me another 400/208 case too...

too bady I am in NY, and you are in Nebraska, shipping might kill the deal...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks