• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gillespie paint ratio

Armada

What is the thinner/paint ratio for gillespie paint? Red oxide primer and 24087. I'm brushing it today on new slats I made for my troop seats and headache rack. Thanks!!!

Armada

RDD, I used about 3 pts paint to 1 part thinner. It was still a little heavy for brushing, could have cut some more. All in all, it turned out nice. 2 coats primer, 1 coat color. I sprayed (rattle cans) the metal surfaces for a smoother finish. One more item off the list........

AceHigh

I recommend a hardener but it will increase gloss. It makes the paint dry very fast and gives a great surface.

I did 2 trucks this past summer with Gillespie, one 24087 the other tan. Did a trailer without hardener and it was not as good.

Last edited:

Bill W

I've always used hardener with Gillespie
As already mentioned it will make the finish glossier, Gillespie recomends "Montana 2000" hardener or a good universal alklyd hardener, I used Valspar "tractor & Implement Hardener ( got it at tractor supply ) on my current deuce and was very happy with the results. If you go this route keep in mind Valspar has two hardeners you want the one in the silver 16oz can, the ratio is one pint to a gal of Gillespie.

Srjeeper

You decide.........

Army Jeep Parts...tip
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AJP recommends [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the reduction of Gillespie Coatings with a [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER. This is accomplished at a ratio of 2:1,
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]paint to reducer. Most brands are fine, such as NAPA or PPG, etc; just as [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]long as its a [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER[/FONT][/FONT]

RAPCO
[FONT=arial, helvetica]PAINT THINNING RECOMMENDATION[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Thinning ratio for paint & primer is 4 parts paint or primer & 1 part thinner. Most of our customers prefer XYLENE. If you have a Gallon of paint or primer that has set for some time, you will need to scrape the bottom of the can and put it on an agitator for a minimum of 10 minutes to ensure the proper quality. XYLENE can be purchased at your local hardware store.[/FONT]

kennys@wi.rr.com

I've been reading threads on the paint topic for the better part of the night now. I undestand that by using a hardner I will add gloss to the paint, not what I want. I did talk to one person who was pretty sure that when using gloss paint you can thin it out with acetone to flatten it, not sure if this is true or not. If that is true, will that work to cut the gloss I would get from adding the hardner? Also if adding hardner does that reduce the amount of thiner I use?

flyxpl

I talked to Rapco about the hardener . I was told that the use of hardener would increase the gloss level to high for a MV . Even without the hardener it is not as flat as carc . What I would call satin or eggshell gloss level . I sprayed a cabplate reinforcement without reducing it at all came out of the gun a little slow , but worked fine for a small area . I would not reduce with anything but xylene .

Bill W

The Mil paint sold by AJP & Rapco is Gillespies "11 Series" which is nothing but alkyd enemal, No poly base stock or anything else fancy just plain Alkyd paint ( confirmed by the nice lady at Gillespie ) so you don't need to use anything more then Mineral spirits , Naptha or Xzylene to reduce it for painting ( if you use the Hardener I would use Naptha or Xzylene ) I just did my Deuce ( avatar) with Hardener and reduced the paint with Naptha ( aprox 3 to 1 ) yes some would say it is to glossy but that should fade down in about a year. Heres the most recent pic of my "SHINEY" :wink: deuce ( just put the Stars on today )

Attachments

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: on the min spirits also just a note if you use a hardner , clean gun if you spray after you are done do not leave it in the gun very long you will not like the job after it set for even a short time!!

B3.3T

I have used both min spirits or Xylene for over 18 years and had equally good results. I do not suggest a hardner for shine reasons but also I do not think it is needed for wear.

OldDominionIron2

Army Jeep Parts...tip
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AJP recommends [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the reduction of Gillespie Coatings with a [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER. This is accomplished at a ratio of 2:1,
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]paint to reducer. Most brands are fine, such as NAPA or PPG, etc; just as [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]long as its a [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER[/FONT][/FONT]

RAPCO
[FONT=arial, helvetica]PAINT THINNING RECOMMENDATION[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Thinning ratio for paint & primer is 4 parts paint or primer & 1 part thinner. Most of our customers prefer XYLENE. If you have a Gallon of paint or primer that has set for some time, you will need to scrape the bottom of the can and put it on an agitator for a minimum of 10 minutes to ensure the proper quality. XYLENE can be purchased at your local hardware store.[/FONT]
What effect does changing the ratio of paint:thinner have on the final result. I'm asking because I'm painting a trailer with the same paint I used on my deuce, and I think I'm using the same ratio as before, but the color has almost no gloss to it. I did scrape the can and stirred it for quite a while, but didn't take it to a store to have it shaken. I'm using 4:1 on the trailer, and still using xylene to thin it. I'm wondering if reducing the ratio to 2:1 will make it glossier?

The only other difference is when I prepped the truck, I primered it then sanded it before painting. The trailer was in good shape, so I just wired brushed a few rust spots, primered them with a rattle can, then went over the government paint with the Rapco 24087, with no sanding between coats. I've got enough paint left for 1 or 2 more coats.

Last edited:

Bill W

Reducing the paint that much will only make it flatter not glossier. I've always been told that the more you reduce a paint the less durable the finish ( which is why rattle can paint jobs don't last as long as a spraygun paint job )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks