• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior markings

Pappa-G

I have just painted my Duce and I would like to have the correct markings on the truck. Does any one know the best way to do this? ( paint / decals ) I have a flat finish paint will the decals work? Can you get the decals in a flat finish? Thanks ~ Pappa-G :confused:

rdixiemiller

Any sign shop that does vinyl lettering can do you a stencil. You weed out the lettering instead of the background. They use a product called GerberMask, or TransMask. You get the stencil on a piece of application tape (like wide, low tack, masking tape). You peel off the stencil on the application tape, line it up on witness marks on your truck, then squeegee it down. Peel the application tape off, then spray with a stink bomb and flat white. The only problem is (to me) that the stencils have too sharp an edge. Most military stencils have a little overspray bled under the stencil, and the mask type looks too perfect. Remember, most of these were stenciled by young soldiers who were not trying to make show trucks!

Opie

I've noticed that the vehicles on Govliquidation.com tend to have been personalized by their crews with their rates and names on the base of the windshield glass in front of their seating positions with vinyl lettering.

I haven't noticed such markings on the (few) late '60s - early '70s pictures I've looked over, so I'm sure I haven't looked closely enough yet.

Rather than expend the effort to actually PERFORM my own research, I thought I'd ask the forum if they have any insight on how trucks under the TB 746-93-1 regime might have been personalized.

Hoping to eventually fix my truck cancer and wield a rattlecan,

Opie

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

The names on the windows was requirement when I was in the Army. This way when walking thru the motorpool the BN CDR could say "SGT Jone's 5 ton needs a wash" or when a truck goes flying past the DIV CDR at well over the posted speed limit, you knew who was driving it. I'd say it was both a "pride of ownership" and a "we know who you are" type of things. We also would put call signs on the top of the windshield. Over in Iraq, this seems to have gone to the wayside in the interest of OPSEC/PERSEC.

67Beast

Most of it depends what type of paint job you want on your truck. A truck that has been field repainted would have sloppy applied stencils with overspray. A factory paint job would have nice clean lines with no overspray. Also the Army started to use decals in the late 60's to mark thier vehicles so those would not be wrong to use. The use of decals makes things a little easier and can be easily changed if you decide to do something different. I have decals on both my M715 and a quick set I made for my new deuce when I bought it. Once I get the deuce stripped and repainted back to 24087 I will apply decals to it. If anyone has any interest in a decal set for a deuce, I will be working on developing a set to sell. It will have all the stars, markings, & warnings for the exterior of a deuce.

66Reo6X6

Quote "If anyone has any interest in a decal set for a deuce, I will be working on developing a set to sell. It will have all the stars, markings, & warnings for the exterior of a deuce."

Any updates on this project?

Rustygears

I have similar questions regarding an A3 (please don't flame me, I hope to buy an A2 as well this summer). I've looked through the TMs, TBs, etc. and see the info about bumper markings, stars - but nothing about other standard markings that seem to be all all M35s, like tire pressure, fuel tank fill level, etc. Where is all of that spelled out?

If someone is making a stencil set that is A3 accurate, I'm interested as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks