• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50/50 Mix for Multi

cbvet

Starting today, I'm running a mix of 1/2 unleaded gas & 1/2 filtered used oil.
Oil is a little bit of everything I guess. I run it through 100 micron, 20 micron, & 1 micron sock filters.
I don't heat the oil. Just pump it through the filters with a Harbor Freight hand pump. Takes about 6 casual hours to complete 50 gallons.

It was nearly 80 degrees when I took the Deuce "home" to South Bend Indiana for Memorial Day.

Noticed it takes a few revolutions to start engine now, but still starts in under 6 seconds. Runs just fine. Exhaust stinks a little worse than it did.
I'll let everyone know if I encounter any problems.
Eric
CBVET

Alredneck

Banned
You'll like it, saves a lot of money once you get set up. Just make sure you got a extra set of filters on hand just in case ( 1mic wow I dont go no where near that low yet, soon 5 mics then thats it ). Good luck and have fun with it!

cbvet

Total cost for filters is about 4 cents per gallon at worst. And that's just burning them with the trash when they start to plug up. They could be washed & reused I'm sure.
Eric
CBVET

cbvet

Rocco,
I had some 100 & 20 micron that were given to me, but I bought the 1 micron from MSC. They have all types needed.
I'll try to find the part numbers if you need them.
I think Grainger has them, & I've seen them on ebay. Look up sock filters or filter bags.
I'll post more info later.
Got to get to work now!
Eric
CBVET

BEASTMASTER

my buddie started using 1 gal. of gas and 4 gals. of motor oil recently too.he just filters it thru 2 cannister oil filters from an early jeep and away he goes. blows a little blue smoke and smells like it's burning oil but the price is right. :driver:

Alredneck

Banned
I meant keep extra fuel filters on hand for your truck just in case! I havent had no problems with mine yet and some guys say on here you can go the whole year without replacing any, but era on the side of caution. It would suck to be stuck on the side of the road cause of a clogged fuel filter! Other than that run the piss out of 'em

kipman

Why not buy some of my 20 micron fluid filters, 9.75 long by 2.5, all you need is a filter canister that can be purchased online. .85 each, I have 1600 of them.

TommyG45

How much are you guys paying for WMO ? I have a guy that sells it for .25/gal Is this reasonable? I can get large quantities, so it's worth it for me to shag it with the deuce, and pump it into holding tanks in the barn.

Also, will use some of it to heat the barn as well.

TG

cbvet

A local shop says they can get .45 a gallon for used oil. I could buy from him, but the barrels are kept outside & get a lot of water in them. .25 A gallon is a good deal if it's not 1/2 water!
So far, I've been lucky in getting free oil from private individuals, independent truckers, & small shops. Just start asking around.

Eric
CBVET

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep fuel extra fuel filters in the glove compartment. I've had the primary plug far from home. I've noticed the same cold starting issue. If i'm running too much WMO the engine will take a while to start when cold. But once it's running it runs great. I'm planning on pulling the injectors to see if they are coking with running so much oil. I get all the used oil i want for free. Just ask your friends when the change thier oil to give it to you. You will end up with more than you can burn.

chuck500cc

I work at a car dealership that has to pay to hall off old oil. It can run in the thousands every month. So they love me. I am useing a 3 micron setup from Grainger and a transmission filter that has a magnet.

Chuck XD Fan

Daneil

Could you guys post pictures of you oil filter/pump set up. I think this is the way I'm going to go. I would like to start making my own diesel as well.

littlebob

With the price of fuel so high I really want to finish my Deuce this summer and find some alternitive fuels for it. I have 24gal of old fuel in my boat which is dead and all kiinds of old oil in five gallon containers. Anyboy have any idea how hydraulic fluid would burn?
littlebob

grobinson2

What if I run this stuff though the centrifuge? I would not need all the filters then would I? I have thousands of gallons of this stuff available and just burn it in a pit. I never even thought about using the stuff in the M35. I do second yellobronc in can you mix Diesel 2 with the oil instead of gas?

Thanks,
Glenn

cbvet

I mix gas with the WMO only because it's cheaper. May lose a little power I suppose, but not much.
I've used diesel too.
I'm going to check price on HHO to mix.
Eric
CBVET

TommyG45

Air powered transfer pump

Hey Guys,

Ordered the centrifuge today, looks like a two week lead time. Next up - getting the oil from the companies who have it, to a 250 gallon HHO tank located in the back of the deuce.

250 gallons per haul I think is reasonable. I was looking to use stuff already supplied on the deuce, and reuse as many of the components in the filtering process. I came across this pump on Northern tool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200323328_200323328

I wonder if the pump can run off the glade hands used to tow a trailer. Anyone know what the CFM output of the onboard compressor is?

TG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks