• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings from Florida

presto_z

hey everyone, im steve from Florida 22yo.

im in the process of trying to purchase a m35a2 and joined this forum to get some info how to properly purchase one, what to look for and more importantly what to look out for. i was glad to see a forum dedicated to these beasts

i dont have a 4x4 or more importantly a 6x6 at the moment :( thats why im HERE!!!
my 01 z28 gets me around town just fine, but i miss being able to go where ever i damn well please with no questions asked.. with the exception of the mud, i try and avoid the going into the pits

im glad to be on board
-steve

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site!

I think the best advice we can give is to download the Operator's and Technical Manuals (for free) from this site and read 'em, especially the OM.

Then, start on page 1 and read ALL the threads in the deuce forum. It will take a few days, maybe a few weeks, but it will answer 99.997% of your questions.

Then find someone close to you who has one and go get a ride!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
welcome aboard Presto... one word of warning...OD fever cannot be cured.
If you're not seriously military vehicle oriented....ya better back out now because it will become a passion.

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy man, and welcome to the site, where exactly is soutwest florida aint that the gulf of mexico hehehe!!!! Just pick'n im at Eglin AFB in the panhandle. There are several members in FL. The cool thing about havin a M35 with 46in tires is you're the big dog and can go in a out the "pits" as you please and anywhere else you can fit the big beast!!! GOod luck n Happy Hunt n for that new MV!!!!

dc3coyote

SW FL what part I am North of Tampa.Tarpon Springs I have two dueces with a third on the way.
If you need help give me a shout
Branan
727 967 8142

aboonski

Welcome to the site!

Well Steve, I live on the East Coast of Florida inbetween Jacksonville and Miami. If you want to buy a Deuce, there are several that are being auctioned off right now at Cape Canaveral Air Force Staion through the Govliquidation web site. If you are going to buy one, I would recommend taking the time to bid on one of those you see at the Cape. When I bought the M35A2C that I have now, I overpaid - $7500.00 for the truck and then started putting upgrades like Air Assist Steering, new canvas cargo cover & bows, convoy lights, new tires and the list goes on and on. I would venture to say that I have over $14K in my truck and I would be lucky if I could get $8000.00 for it right now. You want to get one close by because the fuel costs for a long drive will add up quick at $5.00 per gallon! If you need help getting your truck home, let me know because I live about 25 miles from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and have the resources to assist you with the exception of a towbar. You must also keep in mind that the Deuce weighs 13, 500 pounds and requires a Class D license to operate and insurance is also another hurdle as well. If you want to test drive a deuce, come up and see me and I will find a suitable off-road area for you to drive mine which has a whistler 'C' turbo. You can see a few short videos of my Deuce on YouTube uder the user name of aboonski.

presto_z

Re: RE: Greetings from Florida

Alredneck said:
Howdy man, and welcome to the site, where exactly is soutwest florida aint that the gulf of mexico hehehe!!!!!
im in Punta Gorda, exactly where hurricane Charley hit.
its like 45mins south of Bradenton/Sarasota

aboonski said:
If you need help getting your truck home, let me know because I live about 25 miles from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and have the resources to assist you with the exception of a towbar. You must also keep in mind that the Deuce weighs 13, 500 pounds and requires a Class D license to operate and insurance is also another hurdle as well. If you want to test drive a deuce, come up and see me and I will find a suitable off-road area for you to drive mine which has a whistler 'C' turbo. You can see a few short videos of my Deuce on YouTube uder the user name of aboonski.
thanks man.. i may have to take you up on that offer sometime :D

if i do happen to pick one up from there i would greatly appreciate it if you could come up there and check it out. im not new to trucks but i am new to deuces and they seem like an entirely different ball game..

Green_gator

RE: Re: RE: Greetings from Florida

They are a new, large and fun game. Living in Punta Gorda you can look at the Cape, Eglin AFB, Jax and as far north as Atlanta. That gives you quite a bit of selection and options. Take Clinto's advice and read the operators manual and the tech manuals. I bought mine in Indiana and drove it to Tampa, not a trip that I would recommend for anyone unfamiliar with the trucks. If you grab one out of the Cape I can give you a hand getting it going and back to Punta Gorda.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Keep an eye on Camp Blanding. FL, near Starke......they sell a lot of trucks out of the Nat. Guard base there.
My former unit had a battalion there and I spent a lot of time down there.
Also watch Jacksonville NAS......lots of good vehicles there too.
Welcome to the dark (green) side.....we have cookies :).

presto_z

Re: Welcome to the site!

aboonski said:
You must also keep in mind that the Deuce weighs 13, 500 pounds and requires a Class D license to operate and insurance is also another hurdle as well..

FLDMV said:
CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicle with GVWR less than 26,001 LBS.

* Effective July 1, 2005, Class D licenses were converted to Class E. Drivers may continue to possess valid Class D licenses until their licenses are renewed or otherwise reissued. This includes farmers and emergency vehicle operators who are exempt from commercial driver license requirements.
* A resident who holds a valid Florida operator license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS E driver license is required, until the operator license expires.
* 16 year olds cannot drive from 11 PM to 6 AM unless accompanied by 21 year old licensed driver or driving to and from work.
* 17 year olds cannot drive from 1 AM to 5 AM unless accompanied by 21 year old licensed driver or driving to and from work.
i have a class E, so i shouldn't have a problem.. should i?? a class E is just a basic drivers license which is all that is needed in Florida correct??

aboonski

License for driving a heavy vehicle in Florida

Back to the license requirement to drive a Deuce here in Florida. I was first informed about the requirement to have a special certification (Class D) on my drivers license to operate my M35 by a neighbor who used to be a supervisor at the Drivers License bureau; he was also a former Florida Highway patrolman as well. I figured he knew what he was talking about so I went out and obtained the 'D' certification ......just in case! I live in West Melbourne and the police department out here by the same name is notorious for having ticket jockeys so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry if you know what I mean. I would check to see what you can legally drive without bumping up your license to the next level but I remember reading something in the Florida Driver's Handbook that specifically stated the maximum weight of a vehicle you could drive with the plain license and the M35A2 exceeded that amount by a considerable amount. We're talking about the old chauffeur's license here and not a CDL rating. The fact that the M35 has air-over-hydraulic brakes has nothing to do with the requirement - the rules are based on the weight of the vehicle. If you were former military and still have your old military drivers license, you can have your ratings upgraded by showing this proof when you obtain your Florida license - as long as it is fairly recent that is! I retired from the military in 1989! What gets me is the way people with enormous RVs can drive them without a CDL license! It has to be political!

devilman96

A Class E licence is good for 26,000 LBS on a non commerical vehicle in FL...

This is why you take everything with a grain if salt and never trust anything anyone "says"... Do your own homework!

Class E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E license.

aboonski

License equirements

Devilman, thanks for that information. I don't remember when I upgraded my license to the 'D' rating but it is possible that the laws changed since then. After taking the test at the Division of Drivers Licenses in Melbourne Florida, I could not see a whole lot of useful information coming from the D requirements other than the flares and triangles portion for breakdowns on the road. Sounds as though you are quoting directly from the handbook and that is good because the facts are important here. I never want to be pulled over and be victimized by the "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" rule that you often hear about. It didn't hurt me to get the upgraded license because it may come in handy if I decide to take a job as a wrecker operator - but, I have heard you now have to obtain a CDL license for that! I don't want to start another inquiry here but the same guy who told me about the 'D' requirement told me about the CDL thing a day or so ago.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: License equirements

Yes, there was a legislative update a couple of years ago and the "D" license no longer is issued. everything is covered in the "E" operators license.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks