• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 recovery from Barstow

tymbom

I just got back from Barstow yesterday. I had won the bid on a M1008 on March 19th. I drove from my house at Seiad Valley to Alturas, where my parents live. My father and I left from Alturas Monday morning at 4:30 am.
Since it was Memorial Day we hoped to avoid alot of travelers headed back down south. We went down to Lone Pine and headed out towards Death Valley. We took some pictures of Death Valley then turned back to Panamint Valley. We drove south through Panamint Valley, through Trona, and rejoined Hwy 395 near Red Mountain.
We made a side trip to Edwards Air Force base and photographed some planes there. We also saw an aircraft junkyard in Mojave with some military planes in it. F-4 Phantom, F-18 Hornet, F-111 Aardvark, A-7 Corsair II, and an odd helicopter inside. There was also tons of parts laying around, including a pair of large jet engines lying in the dirt.
We found a spot off the freeway to spend the night and tried to get some sleep. Where we parked we could see Interstate 15 off in the distance, with all the traffic heading back into LA it looked like a yellow worm all night.
We woke up way too early the next morning and rounded up everything we needed ( or thought we needed) then went to pick up the truck. Our plan was to hook up a tow bar to the front of the truck where the lifting shackles are and drive away. I disconnected the rear drive shaft and unlocked the steering column. There was a set of keys laying on the floorboard that had an ignition key and a key for the pad lock on it. My dad saw an old SeaBee truck in the yard and took a picture. We ended up leaving Barstow around noon and pulled into my parents driveway just before midnight. Temperatures ranged from 77 down to 38 degrees. Beautiful sunshine to almost snow in the rain. With all the side trips we did, we drove more than 1800 miles total.

Attachments

tymbom

More pics

Here is some more pics...
There was a pair of Duece and a Half tires with good tread in the back of the truck. I sold them to a guy that was picking up three Dueces before we even left the yard. :lol:

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: More pics

I have heard nothing but bad feedback about the fellas at Barstow. How were you treated?

tymbom

RE: More pics

I was treated alright by the guys inside, however the guard at the gate was a real jerk until I showed him my Peace Officer ID. Next time I'm down in Hemet we'll have to get together... my wife loves shopping in Temecula...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: More pics

bigmike said:
I have heard nothing but bad feedback about the fellas at Barstow. How were you treated?
The only person who's a jerk at Barstow is Dave S, the rest are really good guys to deal with.

tymbom

RE: Re: RE: More pics

Yep, I'm really happy with it. I looked it over real good while I was underneath taking off the driveshaft, not a spot of rust anywhere. No big dents, new shocks, and good tires. The only bummer is they moved it with a forklift and dinged the driveshaft.

hole

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: More pics

They moved my Deuce with a forklift , bent the bed alittle and fuel tank bracket. Lazy jackholes :x

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks