• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rant : Markings on equipment

jason@snakeriver

The last 2 trucks that I purchased out of Barstow were very nice trucks. The paint was still nice, HOWEVER, DRMO or Gov Liq freely took magic markers - ink pens and wrote their information all over the doors.
The CARC paint is very pourous and it is next to impossible to get the markings off the doors with solvents, ect. It would be hard to match the paint if I were to repaint.
I would make the suggestion that they tape paper - plastic to the glass and post their information there. That way it could be easily cleaned up.
I know that this equipment is their hand me downs, but it is our treasures.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I absolutely agree. They did the same thing on my 3/4 ton trailer. The numbers are on the tires as plain as day today as they were the day they put it on. Can't get it off. They also did the canvas tarp the same way which actually p/o's me off even more than the tires for obvious reasons.

I consider it absolutely stupid and calous of those that did it. Had I known I won't be able to wash the crap off it would have made a determination if I was going to buy that trailer from that specific DRMO.

mangus580

My deuce had the markings on the Windshield..... It took 2 years for it to come off all the way. Wonder if I shoulda tried! rofl

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with everyone, but it seems the military does this, too, for whatever reasons. I saw some trucks on a train...freshly painted...with markings on them. I also saw a brand new Bradley with markings written on it with that white chalk. I don't think the DRMO will stop this (I don't think it is GL as they put stickers on the trucks). Why should they care? They are moving cattle to the slaughter.

M1075

I used to be frustrated too until I came to the conclusion the markings were badges of honor. :D A freshly painted truck with no chalk/markings is usually only found at the depot.

Kwai

I was able to remove the markings from my m149a2 trailer and deuce using naphtha and a rag. When I was finished I scuffed the paint back to blend with the original paint with a 3m scuff pad.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the Army marks things for convoys/whatever, they use chalk. DRMO/GL/whoever wrote them on there doesnt care about markings...

When we had teams come down to check out our equipment to decide what was getting turned into DRMO, they got marked with red circles with a X thru them. So when we saw the red circle X's, it meant we were getting new stuff, and the supply SGT had to turn the red circle X stuff in.

I also imagine the "hard to get off markings" keep people honest at the GL yard....
Chalk washes off with rain, spray paint/marker doesnt. Much harder to "swap markings" with paint/marker than chalk...........

FrankUSMC

I turn stuff into DRMO every week, the stuff is stored outside. We want the markings to stay on the item we turned in, and so does GL.
I have heard the horror stories of "items" having the numbers flipped after an auction. The paint pen is what they use to prevent this.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Orionspath

Hey I felt the same way but this is simply a matter of business.....So what did I do? I thought about the issue of the sprayed out unit id #'s on the front bumper and rear frame as well as the black event and lot number on the frontlest fender. A quick trip to the local Home Depot and a I found a pretty sweet bandaid until I repaint her. Seems as if Rustoleum Makes an exterior rattlecan paint with texture! SandStone! Fine textured finish! Mesa Tan! It is a pretty impressive match off the shelf for the 686 I am looking to find in order to give her a complete refinish!

Attachments

Adamlee

orionspath's tan deuce

BTW Pete,

your M35 looks real nice - and that paint match was great, coming from the rustoleum!

I also noticed the flapper on your exhaust tip. Did your truck come to you like that?

sorry to hijack the thread, mods...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: orionspath

It even has the triplock decal on the front bumper next to the pintle. Airforce?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks