• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting M 37 to a V 8

Keith

I am restoring a 1962 M37 and I would like this thing to go faster then 45 MPH. Anyone know of any good conversion kits that would solve this problem? I would like to be able to use the exsisting PTO wench.

Longhunter7

Wenches! Did somebody say something about wenches? Busty wenches, or was it rusty benches? :shocked: :nono:

Keith,

The first thing you will have to change is the axle ratio! The 5:83's are too low, no matter what engine you install!

There are 4:89's that will work, but you have to change both axles, and it is pricey!

Then there is the small matter of motor mounts, a suitable engine and transmission, and converting everything to 12 volts!

You need deep pockets, and an understanding wife, to pull it off! [complaining] :skull: :devil:

Keith

Well the good news is that it has already been converted to 12 volts and as far as the wife goes I just take her out to dinner a few times a month and she pretty much leaves me alone

Keith

Longhunter,

If I were to change the axle ratio what kind of speeds could I realistically expect with the original engine and trany? Im just trying to get close to freeway speeds with out compromising its awesome climbing abilities, not trying to break any speed records.

Keith

I have contacted uglytruckling and they have decided to stop making the conversion kit for the M37 URRG!! but I will try your other sugestion. thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith, just by changing the gear ratio you should see an improvement of about 18-19%. In other words, 60 mph should no longer be out of reach.
Larger tires will help too.

Keith

Cranetruck,

Thanks for the info. I will try that first, sounds cheaper. Now I just need to find someone to buy the right gears from.

Keith

Longhunter7,

Thanks, I just tried that web site and nothing came up, are you sure about the adress or am I just a dumb @!# and cant type

Keith

Longhunter7,

LOL ok I'll try that # I even did a google search on that address you gave me and still nothing. Let me know if you ever need a hard to get part for your M37 Ive met alot of people over the past year who have been very helpful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks