• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton wreckers

ajg6989

Saw Iddaho Motor Pool had some nice wreckers for sale and not bad prices either saw one had a fith wheel and the others had the rear mounted winch. was wondering if thats really the only difference are both booms rated for the same weight or are they different?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Booms are slightly different. Same weight rating IIRC but the M246/ M819 has an additional boom section giving it more reach. The operators compartment on the tractor wrecker is normally enclosed. The tractor wrecker as you see, has no rear drag winch. Other than that, pretty cool. There was an M819 on ebay recently.

Rattlehead

Anyone have experience driving one of those tractor/wreckers? According to a manual I have, it has a 215" wheelbase, as compared to a 167" wheelbase for an M52 5 ton tractor, and a 179" wheelbase for a wrecker. This is compared to a 154" wheelbase of an M35, and a 190" wheelbase of an M36, of which I have heard many comments on lack of turning radius!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is most definitly a long sucker. At least it has power steering. I surely wouldn't want to back up a short trailer with it.

Dieselsmoke

That one M819 that Alex has was mine dammit, then at the last minute he came in and blasted my bid out of the water. Guess I shoulda called and let him know I was bidding on it, since it was only 12 miles from my house. Oh well, next time then.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my m819 takes a foot ball field to turn in, compared to my former m52, my m52 could turn rings inside my m819. it is a different crane on the m819 then the wrecker, not only does it have 26' reach but the winch is on the back of the boom where the winch is under the boom with the cable going to the back then over a shive then along the boom to the block, also the hyd. tank on the m819 is mounted behind the crane on the deck, the wrecker hyd. tank is mounted on the right side of the crane mount where the spare tire mounts on the m819. according to the parts book some parts interchange but the two cranes are different from the drives on up ,the main boom lift cylenders, the boom inserts,ect. thay both will lift 10000# and 20000# on boom surports . combat ready the m819 weights 36065# , the wrecker weights 36035#, the m819 ie the big of the big of the 5 tons.
if i had the money id buy alexs m819, id tell the wife that it takes a big wrecker to tow a big wrecker in case of breakdown, you can never have enough big green iron.

hot rod deuce

Hey i just picked up a M545? (i think) 5 ton wrecker. It has some big gas thing and 3 winches Im no wrecker expert but there sure are a lot of gizmos and gadgets to make it work. I think the tag says 1963. Any one know anything about this thing? Its awfuly tuff shape but it all works except the brakes of course. Im thinking about parting it out if anyone is interested or sell the whole thing

Prerunner1982

here is mine, or what was mine before military reassigned it.. been posted here before but oh well.. i never get tired of looking at it.. lol

hot rod deuce

wow thats kick a$$! Ill get some picks on here for you....actualy i think you can afford it i hate to tell you guys because some people probably wont want to pay anything for the parts after i tell you. I only paid 350 plus 10% service charge! I did find that the front winch side worm gear box is exploded, along with a steel roll pin rather than an aluminum one.

I kind of wana find another and get a restored gas wrecker and put some 395 or 14.00 singles although the rear tandems are 54" apart mabe 52's would work good

deuceman51

Hot rod deuce, I have some parts that you might be interested in buying for your gas 5 ton. I have some engine gaskets, I think a spare carb, some shock absorbers and maybe a few others. All are NOS that I got on an auction and would like them to go to a good home. Email me if interested in them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, thats a really odd combination. I've never seen the M543 before. I thought (wrongly) that all the gassers were M62s. There's no mention of it being the M543A2? Can you take a pic of the data plate for me? I love that truck! Man, I wished I had a sack of cash to trade.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HRD,
Are you kidding, . . . $385 !!!!! :shocked: for a complete wrecker??? I hope you can sleep at night, . . . 'cause you stole that thing!
Please don't part it out, somebody should buy it whole.

Deuceman51,
Did you ever get that 5-ton wrecker you were looking at awhile back? You know-http://www.steelsoldiers.com/DotNetForum/default.aspx?f=68&m=18733

if HRD doesn't take you up on the parts for sale, I would like to put my name on the list. I am always on the look out for spare parts.

Jeff

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ill buy the three rear wrecker work lights, rear lift shackles and the four lift shackle pins

Elwenil

Junkyard Wars Crusher said:
Please don't part it out, somebody should buy it whole.
I agree. that's a nice complete truck that, while it may need some work, it should be sold whole to someone who will but some time into it. it would be a shame to part it out for nickle and dime stuff when it's a complete looking truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks