• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Russian Bikes

FreightTrain

Banned
Anyone here have a Ural bike or a DNEPR M-72?Seriously thinking about one.What kinda top speed do these things get(with side car) and what kind fuel mileage do they get with the small 750CC flat head engine?

tatra813

Buddy of mine had one, it feels like very old technology, slow shifting nothing is smooth its got a slow top speed, it does get tons of looks and it is fun to drive but after a while you wish for a smoother faster bike.

Alredneck

Banned
Thats bad A$$, FT you gonna break out all your nazi paraphnalia to go ride? Or more the scile and hammer? Are those readily available here in the states or would it have to be imported?

L1A1

FT
From what I remember about the Urals, Their top speed was in the 50s and they got about 24 MPG (I could be wrong about the MPG). These machines are slow because like all MVs, they were designed for off road use. They are available stateside infact, there is (was) a dealer for them located in Richmond, VA.
Matt

My collegue had one which was re-engineered and rebuilt because there were some serious manufacturing flaws in the motor and drivetrain. It was a "new" one built in 1992. It had ball bearings with missing balls, missing gaskets and so on. They rebuilt the motor with new bearings and so on and then it was good.
I like the old Dnepr or Urals from the sixties, because with very little effort they look like the old Wehrmacht BMW or Zündapp bikes with the sidecar... which is no wonder because the later russian models were copies of those.

Mark

TBudzo

Ural Motorcycle

I have a 2002 Ural 750 Patrol with selectable 2 wd (rear and sidecar wheels). Low 30s mpg and likes to cruise at 60mph.
Tom

Wolf.Dose

RE: Ural Motorcycle

The M-72 are made for an average speed of 60 kph, which is around 35 mph. The Russians in former years, when they picked up their new side car motorcycle, made a week or so camping in front of the factory, stripped the bike to the last nut and bolt and reassembled it by themselves, replacing all parts with falts by good parts. With Male pistons it works quite well. The original pistons are no good for western European use.
Nowadays they have a European type approval and the quality shall be dramatically increased. For those who like a bike with side car in Europe it is a relatively cheep deal compared with the hight end Japanese bikes. The Dnjepr and Ural bikes need as many attention as for European understanding the Harleys up to the late 70's.
If you are without mechanic skills you better keep your fingers off these bikes.

M215

Dnepr K750

This was my Denpr K750 that I restored to look like a BMW R71, sold it a couple years ago to fund the halftrack project. Never could get it to run reliable enough to take anywhere, always had ignition trouble. It would start out running great, get may be 5-10 miles and end up limping home on one cylinder. Brakes were always a little weak, bike w / side car weighs around 800 lbs add a couple riders and you realize the drum brakes were not enough. It could run about 45-50 mph tops.

Attachments

TBudzo

M35 recovery vehicle

I loaded up the Ural with 2 batteries, jumpercables, 5 gal fuel, a few gallons of antifreeze, water, oil, tools, foldable ramps, and raingear and drove 300 miles to get my duece in VA. They wouldn't let me take my bike into the yard with all my stuff. Said no working on it in the yard. Good thing she started right up, and ran like a dream all the way home, even came with a full tank of fuel!

Attachments

TBudzo

Ural Motorcycle

My bike is the first year of the 750 engine (2002/2003) and you still better like getting your hands dirty if you want to keep it running. Or else have a thick wallet. They are getting better every year, but then the price is getting up there also. The old Urals were imported by a middleman/distributor called CMSI, sometimes slightly modified then distributed. The year after mine was made, Ural started their own importation/distribution which gave them better customer feedback. If anyone is interested, here is the address of their webpage, which has a great discussion board also, http://www.imz-ural.com/

They are a gas to ride though!
Tom

Wolf.Dose

RE: Ural Motorcycle

So your bike was made at the beginning of the learning of quality. The older ones were much worse.
Anyway, skilled drivers use the older ones for any distance. But they know how to and the most of these riders are skilled motor cycle mechanics/riders.
Continue to try!
Wolf

Refalgren

Just found a 1958 M-72 that might be up for sale in good condition (broken clutch/plate, needs front brake cable and one of the oil pan thread holes re-tapped). they're asking $2,500 if they decide to sell. lots of fresh parts on it. will tear down the drive line just in case, if they do decide to sell it.

I used to own a Ural sidecar rig a couple of years back. The newer 750cc ones are much better than the old 650cc ones. If you are interested in buying one - call Ski from Triquest motorcycles in Santa Clara,CA - he'll tell you all about it. He usually has a few in his showroom. My experience dealing with him was very positive, he's an honest guy and he did a good job.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Just found a 1958 M-72 that might be up for sale in good condition (broken clutch/plate, needs front brake cable and one of the oil pan thread holes re-tapped). they're asking $2,500 if they decide to sell. lots of fresh parts on it. will tear down the drive line just in case, if they do decide to sell it.

I saw one over on Kelly Hill the other day. Is that the one up for sale (not that I'm looking into a bike)? It had a sidecar with it. I figured at first it was an import but then later thought "Gee, I wonder if some soldier got that back as a war trophy?". Doubt it but sure would be nice to let the spoils go to the victors.

GoHot229

We had a dealership for the Ural line of motorcycles in 2007-8-9. They are a well built motorcycle, however they are lending themselves as crude in many ways. The technology is from the early BMW motorcycles. The model we sold came with the sidecar, in two configurations of sidecar, one with a driven sidecar wheel and the civillian model that did not. Right out of the crate and assembled, they were jetted for California's CARB (Ca. Air Rescouce Board) and jetted as such had dismal performance, about that of a spry 250cc. bike, however changing the jets they really really came alive. Top speed, I dont recall now, but I believe it was in the 70mph range (wanked - out) which was slow sort of, but which was sufficient considering the sidecar, a bit slower if the military version had the outboard wheel on the sidecar engaged of course. Acceleration was brisk, though lending itself twards sluggish, though not bad really. As for navigating on the road with the sidecar..... it's a whole 'nother world for the un-initiated. Though you quickly became accostomed to turning and on left hand turns often-times had the sidecar off the ground for convieniance, though not nessessary, pluss LEO may not approve. On right-hand turns it was a matter of slow speeds or hyper-leaning, monkey-like as on side-hacks that you see the British race on tracks. Though none of those shenanigans were nessessary. For moderate driving, they were fine, and not too un-nerving on right-handers. Quality.... well they were well built, I can assure you, though the tech. was dated. These models had typical leading link front forks w/disc brakes. Braking was fairly good, infact I never paid attention to anything in that areana, meaning that it wasn't something I would have noted. Mind you I was a Bike nut and rode a Buell bullit bike 1200cc. fast bike, much modified (for Buell). The quality of the finish was topnotch, nice chrome and the paint was verry nice. Quality control there at the factory was above average. Funny thing..... the crates they came in were enormous, considering, and sufficient for an addition to your porch lol. The price was a killer though, and at a suggester $13,600 up, tough to sell. Our cost was a stagering $10,000. This was of course just before the economic meltdown globally. Prior to that we were kicking out 10-12 bikes a week, sometimes way more, although not Ural brand bikes. They averaged one every two-three months, and needless to say were bought by eclectic types. Would I buy one???? For what their purpose is, yes.... just on a whim? well unless your well off and $ were no hinderance, mabe? As an addition to a Bike collection, absolutly. I was impressed with the overall quality, and though somewhat less than a fierce road burner, they were sufficiant to keep me entertained. their off-road prowress was comperable to a Deuce or Jeep, I mean, with the rear enguaged (sidecar) it was a brute off-road, though heavy, but non-the-less a good performer. The sidecar rack looks sort of wimpy in the pictures, but it was a fairly stout piece, and sufficient for rather alot of cargo.The motor was a bit low on horse power, somewhere in the range of about 40hp as I recall, but grunt (torque) was good, from the bottom on up. They were also verry comfortable, and came with an outstanding tool kit pluss spare tire of-course. Changing tires was akward, but not too unduely. Of-course the most difficult was the rear on the bike fitted with the outboard drive for the sidecar, though not bad, no not bad. Mabe 1/2 hour doing such a change. I have nothing bad to say about the Ural. The lead time to have then shipped to us was usualy lengthy though, up to three months sometimes, and had to be paid in advance. The last one we sold, we offed at just over cost and then discontinued activly persuing the sales. Parts are only somewhat difficult to get, rather ..timely.... but available, so theres no worry there. Though parts rarely break, as I eluded, they are well built, but as the latest batch of hyper-bikes go, they ARE crude, but heak, its a 40 year old design. If any of you are framilliar with the dirt bikes from the 60-70-80's CZ, I need'nt say more.....only a real dolt could kill either a CZ or a Ural. Ural, leakage.....?...virtually zero. I would have liked to own one, but fortunatly as a dealer did get to ride one about, to and from the shop as the whole outfit was so large so as to not be able to be secured in the showroom at days end, so that nessesitated riding it home (about a half mile everyday), so that was a neat thing, a pluss. If you have the oppertunity to get one for a good price, Id say "go for it".........however, a note of caution... the 2000's up were the best, anything built from 2000 on , and especially mid 2000's.

PICTURES ON THE NEXT PAGE........................I would NOT HESITATE to drive one CROSS COUNTRY, don't give it a second thought, just bring warm clothing and a cedit card/cash and enjoy...
One last note: we NEVER had to order any replacement parts other than tires, which being Eastern Block were less than long wearing, though Dunlop has a GREAT replacement tire for the bike. Your not going to have trouble, rather the stock tires wore rather quicker than the American market offerings.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks