• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XX

ygmir

damn..........
we elect them, they do this, we elect more of 'em..............
Plenty of blame, but, such a waste.............

Henry

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad thing is that someday some "bright politician" will want to clean all of that up.

Mike_Pop

I was intrigued by the information. Growing up on the Jersey Shore, I remember when fishing was the mainstay for many locals. Over time, the waters were either fished out or polluted. It's nice to see that the work that is done by making artificial reefs pays off by creating more habitats for fish.

Alredneck

Banned
Man thats sad, such a waste, glad fish get priorty over tax dollars, than the citizens that pay them! I wonder if salvage rights could be used to haul a couple up?

jasonjc

Alredneck said:
Man thats sad, such a waste, glad fish get priorty over tax dollars, than the citizens that pay them! I wonder if salvage rights could be used to haul a couple up?
With the right stuff I can get them to the surface :wink:

ygmir

not to mention, just in recycle, how much could have been had/saved...........there's some pretty darn high quality steel down there.
Probably some "brother in law" deal, where, they don't want to depress the steel market by recylcing, and, some politicians brother in law gets the contract to sink them...........

No, I'm not cynical........

Henry

Esteban

I promote taking care of the environment, etc,,, but hate to see that happen to some of our equipment. The 113's, M-60's are still being used in many places. FYI,, the sinking of these has been going on for many years. With aluminum scrap being so high, the government should go back & get some of the M-113's.

saddamsnightmare

July 10th, 2008.

Gentlemen:

I see your point, but the questions is- would you rather that the fish in US Coastal waters get new "Condos"..... Or that the Chinese will be firing them back at us in a few years???? Please remember what happened to a lot of American scrap metal in the late 1930's, and how we ended up catching a lot of it in the Pacific. While I know that it is going to be unpopular to say it here....You can't save every piece of material that Uncle wants to get rid of... in fact, many of you seem to be cutting up lots of it yourselves... for parts and scrap.
Better you get it then the Chinese, but ultimately the Chinese and the Indians are taking care of lots of our scrap metal on the world market, and I am pretty certain its going to come back and haunt us one way or the other....
I would rather see our ex Navy and Merchant vessels be used for such projects, then to send them overseas for scrapping, at least they would be doing some good near home....
Just my 2cents worth,
now to sit back and :popcorn:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A APU gas gen-set
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB

APM215

we could fill the tanks with politician and inmates, weld the hatch shut and then push them off the boat.
Free fish food!
Less inmates sitting around costing us money.
Less politician sitting around thinking of ways to spend our money.

It is so hard to get hold of some of this stuff and it seams that some time they don't even ask if we want it!
I'M NOT BITTER!

Esteban

Constructing artificial reefs are great , but it is hard for me to imagine tracks being used for these. Years back, railroad boxcars were used at many sites. They completely rusted through in a short while, & collapsed. I dove on some in Panama City , Fl., & came back the next year & they were hard to find. Surely, the tanks will last longer. Most are in 60-100ft of water. I don't think anyone , even Mel Fisher's team , could get a salvage permit to recover them. Just shed a tear !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks