• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A help

captnkirk

my mep003a is difficult to start even in warm weather, could it be the fuel filter system?
Is there an upgrade available?
also looking for some spare parts things may go bad, starter?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine does the same thing. I have to run the preheater to get it going. And it takes two or three trys to get it going smoothly. I haven't change the filters yet. But i will soon. It only has 600 hours so i don't think it's wore out. After it's hot it starts easy. i'm looking for the filter numbers before i take it apart.

captnkirk

i have to hold the start switch for about 10 seconds(can't be good for the starter) to keep it running. i am wondering if its loosing prime due to the triple filtration system. i read a thread on that here they make a single spin on civliain fuel filter.
does anyone know where i can get one? or who makes it.

Bill W

The genset has a preheat that you have to manually hold on for about 10 seconds before starting a cold engine, also after it first starts to run you have to keep the starter engaged until she builds oil pressure or the low oil switch will shut it down.
Heres a great site for more info on these gensets which are basicly Onan 10 DJC generators

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=d0e56e0e176e332506585c4f7a7ba69c&f=1

captnkirk

Thanks Bill
I prime for 60 seconds then pre heat for about 30 seconds then start, I thought it was loosing prime.It sounds like holding on the starter is normal on these. Will the starter hold up to this type of use?
How can i ground the machine from an EMP?
Thanks

Bill W

"I thought it was loosing prime."
There are some ( diesel) mil genset owners who think that because they hear the elec pump clicking/pumping when the engine is not running that they are sucking air, this is not so, the pressure relief valve in the inj pump returns excess fuel back to the tank weather the engine is running or not, so don'tthink because you elec pump still runs that you have a air leak.
As far as emp goes, this was covered here once before so maybe do a site search or wait to see who chimes in.
As far as the holding the starter goes this is part of the start up precedure covered in the manual which you can find a copy of in the tech manual section of this site ( click below)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=136

captnkirk

I did a bypass on the oil sending unit, its stay running when i release the starter. It looks like all is well and i will hold the starter engaged until oil pressure is up.
Thanks
Anywhere I can get an extra starter,fuel pump to keep on hand?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
captnkirk said:
I did a bypass on the oil sending unit, its stay running when i release the starter. It looks like all is well and i will hold the starter engaged until oil pressure is up.
I'm wondering why you would bother doing this? If you're going to hold the starter until oil pressure is up anyway, why bypass the switch? The switch is there so that if the unit loses oil pressure while running, it will shut down and not ruin the engine.

captnkirk

I did the bypass to see if it was the oil pressure sending unit, it was. I replaced it
and the engine stays running without holding on to the starter switch.
Thanks

any one know sells spare part for these genertors?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks