• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38a1 fuel / starting problems

pockersUK

Hi 1955 m38a1 was running fine thern on way home from work at 2am started coughing & spluttering as though it was out of gas.

Limped it home. Next day it would start but only run for a minute max then splutter run fast n slow then cut out. Now the engine turns over but wont fire. Have checked the gas is pumping into the carb.

took the carb apart & it looks lke the gas isn't leaving the carb

any one got any ideas??

thanks

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do you have good fuel and air filters? Sounds like you've got crud in the carb. One tiny little flake of rust or dirt in a needle valve will cause the problem you're describing.

pockersUK

HI
it wont start at at all now

i did check the air filter & it looked good but was low on oil.

will change the oil filter

when i stripped down the carb there was no apparent dirt on the valves but some old paint flakes did fall out so sounds likley.

- any susgestions on the best way to clean the needle valves

thanks

pockersUK

Cleared out the carb again - some paint flakes would you believe.

Car now starts & turns over

but on a test drive it still splutters & backfired several times ?

any ideas on this any one?

with thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks