• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Desplined hubs?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an extra set of front hubs. Cut the splines out and buffed with a flap wheel. Has anyone had a problem with wear on the hub or axle stub when using desplined hubs? Was wondering if I should put a bronze bushing and grease zerk in the desplined hubs.
Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got literally thousands of miles on mine without a problem and they do not have the bronze bushing.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axle stub is supported by the hub and the wheel turns, the axle doesn't. Take it from there.
I know I went overboard on my set, I even pressed in needle bearings in those.
They were sold a few years later after I decided that the front wheel drive was more important. Needed it yesterday driving down a dirt road in low gear with the engine braking. When the rear driving axle (tires) started slipping, I engaged front wheel drive and no more sliding. Yes, I could have used the brakes, but didn't need to.
If you guys want to free up the front wheels, go for it! It's not worth the extra mpg IMHO.

Monster Man

I've got no problems on mine, but like Bjorn I'm putting the splined flanges back on. And the REB shift kit [:)] front wheel drive is more important, as I haven't found it any easier to drive and have noticed little improvement in mileage (though on long trips I'll put them back on). I drive around town 99% of the time

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will keep the splined set in the truck, with my old impact for installing. No dirt roads around here, I haven't had to engage the front axle yet.(except to make sure it works)

To my way of thinking, I would rather have the axle not spinning. I realize the chances of me wearing anything out are nil to none, I am weird that way....
Dennis

Last edited:

rdixiemiller

Saturn has new ones for $28 each, probably the cheapest around. I saw some on E-bay, they were too high. Get a set and I will de-spline them for you on the lathe. Takes me 1/2 hr to do a pair.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read a post on the mil-veh list (perhaps it was a PM, not sure) about somebody using wooden ones for freewheeling.

My son just took his off (M37) and drove without hubs untill he got lockable ones (to and from school for a year).

Rdixiemiller, turn some out of wood and sell them. Will look like originals and not likely to get hit on the highway. Saves a lot in shipping. Wooden ones will still protect the axle stu/bearing.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And make one for the rear too, for those that choose to remove a rear drive axle. It should look like the original rear hub, just made out of wood...

n3uka

rdixie, have talked to saturn. they have been out for a while.
Thanks for the offer to turn them.

Wooden ones, could call my truck George Washington then :turn:

rdixiemiller

Let me see what I can come up with. I believe I can do better than wooden ones. They would not look exactly like the factory hubs, but if I can make them cheap enough, they would be fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any machineable material that's as cheap as wood? Are there any composites or nylons that would be easy to machine? Wonder what chunks of aluminum would cost?

rdixiemiller

Aluminum would be fine. So would some of the plastics. I have a set of 4 M151 lifting rings coming, I am thinking of making some flanges for the hubs and adding the lifting rings. Should look cool!

rdixiemiller

What I am looking at is using a stamped steel stacking target (readily available, and cheap) and welding it to a turned flange that would fit the hub. I have some heavy wall (1") pipe that is the same OD as a deuce flange. I would cut it into 3/4" slices, face off on the lathe, drill on the mill, then weld on the stamping. About $200 worth of machine time to make a $28 drive flange!
As with any project like this, the material cost is usually not the issue, it is the machining time.
I'll see what I can come up with, I have all kinds of tricks up my sleeve.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If somone has access to sand casting facilities, a standard hub could be used for model/mold and castings made relatively cheaply (machining limited to boring the 8 mounting holes).
Just tossing ideas about. Still think wood would be an acceptable solution. One of my neighbors has a wood turning lathe, I'll ask him about it. Some are set up to make copies of originals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks