• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20 Ton Crane

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Crap.....that crane is worth more for scrap metal than my house is worth. In fact...the scrap metal price is ruining acquisitions for our group. We were finding pieces where the owner would say....ah heck, I ain't never gonna do anything with it...make me a fair offer. Now the phrase is "heck that thing is worth $$$$$ for scrap!!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Those crane look a lot better than they are:
I did a Report of Survey on one that had the boom bent by a Soldier driving it without the boom caged to the cradle. They were so underpowered when we loaded them on RORO ships they had to be pushed up the ramp with an M88 or another track vehicle just underpowered. Still if I found one cheap I would bite because they look so cool.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are good for stationary work.
IF you have to road march them....pack a lunch.
They are slow and all hydrolically driven.
Won't pass their own shadow and blow hoses constantly (leaving arond 50 gals of fluid on the ground).
Stay away from them unless you are a glutton for punsihment.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric:
What power units are in this crane? I have a 6V-53 Detroit with an Allison automatic mounted on a frame as a self-contained unit with a large gear box behind it. The Allison has four forward gears and two reverse. We have been told it came off a crane or winch of some kind.
Thanks Marti

cbvet

Marti,
I didn't have time to look it over real closely, & I wouldn't know a Detroit engine if I saw one. It's at the same place where you picked up the dump truck.
If you tell me what to look for, I'll stop by again.
Gimpy,
Didn't see any trailer.

Eric
CBVET

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric:
Thanks, I didn't realize it was that close. I will stop in on my way to Milwaukee next trip.
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elwinil:
Detroits, properly built by a competent mechanic, will not leak oil. We have three (8V-71, 8V-92, 6V-53) that do not. They are an excellent engine, much misunderstood. I would choose them over others most every time. Power and torque curves are much better. No head gaskets to blow, fuel system easy to work on and upgrade. Keep the fuel racks set right, and they will give very reliable power. I don't think they would be so popular in large boats where you would be floating around amongst the sharks and sawfish if they failed as much as rumored!!
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks