• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash LED illumination

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the naked eye, it looks good in the dark, but the camera gets flooded.
The gauge in the upper left is a newer style with an all transluscent plastic housing and get lots of light.
Still need to optimize it....
Yeah, the speeometer is jammed and is non functional. :(

Attachments

Rattlehead

It looks good on the camera, so if it looks better to the eye then 8) 8)

Good idea. I installed brighter bulbs in mine just so I can see the gauges at all, but the light is still not very evenly distributed.

devilman96

Bjorn be careful aiming the LED's so their not in your eyes in the driving position... they get quite annoying! I wrapped the rear of my guage cluster with reflective material to help the lighting as well as keep the underside of the dash from glowing like a christmas tree!

Capt.Marion

Red probably for night driving, If I'm not mistaken it doesn't affect night vision (as much)... but it depends on your preference too. Neat idea, I like that. LEDs are so handy.

Michael

After driving my truck in the rain the other day, I don't think I would use something rated for "indoor use only". :)

devilman96

I have blue in mine... I prefer it to the red and it matches my light switch, it works just as well as red with NVG's plus you can tell colors apart with blue moreso than red... Blood for example is very hard to see in red light. I think this is why they changed the color of the dome lights used in MV's... Just a guess!

bnbrown

The aftermarket gauges I use in one of our dodge diesels are cobalt blue LED illuminated... I have red in the other truck, I like the blue a lot better, Seems to allow easier differentiation. I also have a dimmer on them as they can be excessively bright when you are trying to see through rain or snow especially.

CliffW

devilman96 said:
I have blue in mine... I prefer it to the red and it matches my light switch, it works just as well as red with NVG's plus you can tell colors apart with blue moreso than red... Blood for example is very hard to see in red light. I think this is why they changed the color of the dome lights used in MV's... Just a guess!
That is correct for map reading it would wash out the red lines on the map.

Alredneck

Banned
MVs have dome lights? :D WHere? Do they come in green, it is supposed to be easiest to see that why NVGs are green. That does look good though as is, I also like the newer brighter gauge in the upper corner as well. Very interesting!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After installation and working with the intensity, I'm not satisfied with the LED lights, the individual sources are very bright and are not diffused as is the incandescent light.
Using #356 bulbs with original fixtures, a pretty nice and even light results, so that will be my solution here, clear lenses would be nice, can't get complete 360 coverage with the holes drilled in the red lenses.
My digital camera is not good at night time pictures, so images will have to wait.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks