• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151's, They are still out there!

halftrack

Went to a subordinate unit for range qual and this is what I found. Location: JRB Dallas/Ft. Worth. Looks like a Marine Corps front line ambulance. It was in VMGR 234's hangar area.

Attachments

L1A1

halftrack
It's always amazing to me that these things still turn up from time to time on military rez's. It is also sad knowing that that particular Mutt, can never be saved from it's eventual fate (crusher). The NG armory behind my house had a Dodge M880 up until about '97. Long after it's replacement (Chevy) entered service.
Matt

poppop

I found 12 at Fort Stewart a couple years ago. I inquired about their fate and was told they would be run over by a bulldozer and sold as scrap. All the parts i needed to make mine run were right there and all I could do was look.

Dieselsmoke

M718A1. Just sold mine a few weeks ago. Tons of the 151 series rigs still floating around the bases...most of them as targets :evil:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That 718 just looks like it's in storage, awaiting disposal. Doubt it's used for anything except bee and/or wasp storage. It's a shame it can't get out and be given a good home, but such is the state of our governmental regulations re: surplus disposal.

majortom

i just got dueces from afganistan via fort dix. contract purchace , by the pound , as scrap. when the trucks were delivered, we got a 151a2 in the bed of a m35. outside of dead batts. and small arms damage, everything works. some of the 35s are so old that they used to be gas engined. my guess is that these trucks lived somewhere in the middle east for many years, not in storage, but in active use.

54reo

majortom said:
i just got dueces from afganistan via fort dix. contract purchace , by the pound , as scrap. when the trucks were delivered, we got a 151a2 in the bed of a m35. outside of dead batts. and small arms damage, everything works. some of the 35s are so old that they used to be gas engined. my guess is that these trucks lived somewhere in the middle east for many years, not in storage, but in active use.
Ummm, ok.....

now I am interested in more of the story! :shock:

AJMBLAZER

Granted it was nearly 10 years ago now but one of the Marine aircraft squadrons on MCAS Miramar had a M151 in great shape that the CO and XO would drive around in. Never got the full story on it.

majortom

Finally had time to get back to the computer I purchased the deuce-and-a-halfs as scrap in a lot by the pound. The trucks were painted a very dark almost black, green color. had hard-tops N.A.T.O slave connectors and convoy lights I didn't take any pictures of the trucks before we cut them up, didn't think it was important at the time. heres a picture of the shipping label from Kandahar, Afghanistan stuck to the side of the trucks. also below is a link to the pictures of the M-151A2 all of the trucks including the M.U.T.T. were actually in pretty decent shape out side of dead batteries they were in functioning condition. It was a shame to cut some of them up but we did purchase them as scrap for recovery of components don't know why the government deiced to sell them this way but they did out side of the M.U.T.T. we have chopped them all up as required.

Mutt pictures.
http://www.alfaheaven.com/IMAGES/M151A2/tinyMjp.html

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

That MUTT is one of the Marine Corps series built again in the late 70', about 3 to 5 years after the official production stopped, just before the series for Pakistan. Most of them were stored somewere in a desert and full of sand, even in the brake system. That with a mileage of sometimes less than 500. Troop seats and rear seat as well as the canvas top were still originally packed, except of the damage of the sand. For these vehicle a real overall restauration is required. MUTTs of these brought to Germany without complete restauration (including engine total rebuild) were worn to death (engine, trans, axles) within 1000 miles.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks