• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE ORIG. TRACTOR, WRECKER

No.2Diesel

Original Tractor/Wrecker

Hi,

Here are some pics of the GranndPappy of the M246/M819s, the Federal 606E, Sterling, Biederman etc. Not very good pics but its all I can find. I wonder what the M designation is for that Step-Deck trailer? Looks very similar to the M269/M270.

If anyone knows anymore (technical, etc.) about the Federal 606E please add it here. Thanks.

I threw in a pic at the bottom of an ex-Navy Sterling with a larger crane unit just for fun. Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

wjruth

Re: RE: Diamond T 981

steelandcanvas said:
I hope that strap over the hood of that Diamond T981 kept it on the trailer.
I think that is just to hold the hood down during transport. You can see a rachet strap going to the front axel in front of the front tire, what looks like a chain binder behind the rear wheel going to the rear axle and a chain around the front bumper most likely tied to a winch to tow it onto the trailer.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Diamond T 981

That's a big mother right there. Huge boom on that. Those old cable-operated wreckers took a special breed of person to operate them, the modern hydraulic driven units are a breeze compared to the old cable units.

rmgill

Re: RE: Diamond T 981

wjruth said:
steelandcanvas said:
I hope that strap over the hood of that Diamond T981 kept it on the trailer.
I think that is just to hold the hood down during transport. You can see a rachet strap going to the front axel in front of the front tire, what looks like a chain binder behind the rear wheel going to the rear axle and a chain around the front bumper most likely tied to a winch to tow it onto the trailer.
IT was probably also to keep the sheetmetal fenders from flapping. Those Diamond-Ts are geared for what, 45 mph?

rmgill

Around here, you can't be sure.

I have it on good authority that some members removed a transmission by cribbing the transmission and then lifting the deuce up off. :roll:

beaubeau

Rmgill, I never changed a tranny that way before!! Sounds like a Plan!!LOL!!I have changed trannies by lifting back of vehicle up with my Excavator until the front bumper touches the ground. U physically pull tranny out and it SSSLLIDES right in when replacing !!!! No crawling under, just stand there and do UR Thing!! Phil

madsam

I love the swing down foot and the fact that you have to stand on a slide out shelf to operate the wrecker. Nice pics.

I assume those were Gassers. What size?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

the diamond t road speed was 26 mph, the one in the pic was a m20, prim mover, the wrecker in the weight box was a civi mod, i had one in cal. that the gov. had removed the weight box and put on a fifth wheel before it was released, mine had a 805 ci huclies ( i know its not spelled right)diesel

m26a1tom

Nevermind, I probably should have looked at the pics before posting that. I thought you were referring to a Diamond T. But still a cool truck, find out if they want to get rid of it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer double stacked is a C-2 wrecking trailer, same purpose as the 269/270. Has 15" 6 hole wheels with LPT tires like the M172.

No.2Diesel

Pics for NDT

Hi,

I Bring this old thread up as I was searching the forum and found a thread regarding the the older M269 and the WWII C-2 trailer.

NDT has a C-2 trailer and asked out load: "has anyone seen photographic evidence of a C-2 wrecker or trailer transporting an aircraft?" Well here ya' go NDT enjoy!

I stumbled upon this great source from the great folks at the Stockton Aviation Field Museum: Army Air Forces Federal C2 wrecker so they get the credit. I will post some below just in case they got lost from the link above. There are some really great photos that you just don't see.

They can lift/haul some heavy loads! Enjoy the Pics!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks