• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Kansas City

Aswayze

Name: Allan Swayze
Truck: M35A2 (awaiting EUC)
Hobbies: Mostly tactical reenactments/airsoft.

Hi guys, I am glad to finally be registered up here. I have been lurking here for a while studying up on my long road to finally getting my hands on a Deuce. My poor Deuce probably thought it's years of hauling military gear around were over but far from it. I got mine to haul equipment to and from events as well as toting troops around once I am out there. No, they are not as efficient at just using a Penske truck but when I need to haul 4000 pounds of gear off road or on poor condition unimproved roads, sometimes for annoying distances, the Deuce will come in handy.

Now that I have the Deuce I just need to get a water buffalo and a MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer) to fill out my needs. Hauling water to keep 50 guys operating in the field for 9 consecutive days with 5 gallon cans is a PITA and the MKT is a handy way to always have all the kitchen stuff loaded up and ready to move without wondering where the spatula went.

My buddy Brett from St Louis is my East Bloc "enemy" at our annual big event. He just purchased a GAZ-69 as well as a UAZ-469 so we are already off to a pretty good arms race. (we all know NATO will win)

I look forward to learning more from you guys and meeting some of you at events in the area. If any of you have a hankering to spend a week next spring being an 88 Mike in the field facing off against the Soviet Army of the early 1990s drop me a line, we will be announcing the location and times of East Wind II, our annual "big" tactical event late July. Here are a few pics of the first one just to give an idea what we are all about:

NATO HQ tent spring of 08. The balance of the camp is down the hill from here. Tucked in amongst the woods. The HQ tent was made up of a pair of GP Small tents laced together. Antennas (these are just 2 of the 6 we had up) are there because the unit we were reenacting was a radio relay company. Outside of view are: Officers tent (10 man Arctic) a mess hall/kitchen tent (2 GP smalls laced again) a Supply tent (another GP small) ready tent, cleaning tent, Armory, HQ staff quarters (5 man Arctic), as well as 30 some odd pup tents to quarter troops in. Yes, those are Suzuki Samurai trucks, we are just now getting enough of the infrastructure stuff paid for to allow us to look at MVs.

Inside the comms side of the tent above. Radio rack is a vismodded AN-GRR24/GRT radio gutted out and fitted with a UHF radio operating in the GMRS band. Behind that on the table is the SB-73 telephone switchboard. We had a full telephone system employed out there including several wire runs of over a mile in legnth. Lighting is weird in this pic because we were running with the blue "night" lights. As you can see by the clock, it is almost midnight in this pic and we just got a new weather report on the "telefax". Operations are run 24/7 so some lucky guy always gets to man the switchboard, guard things, patrol, go raid the Soviets etc.

The Soviet camp. These guys were located in a more photogentic spot. (for better or worse). The long tents on the right are troop tents providing quarters for the Soldats, the square tent in the middle is the Commanders tent, the larger one on the left is a main HQ tent. Outside of view is an Armory tent, 2 storage tents, another officers tent, comms tent (up on the hilltop) and a mess hall. These guys were set up to be a category C independent recon company.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Allan,
Welcome aboard.
Now that you have become a deuceaholic you can attend local meetings. I am from KC but have been replanted here in NM. I am sure you will meet my friend Rick if you set up with the MVPS guys. He has an M37 and now a deuce M35A2 W/W. Which he got from me. He also has an M105 trailer. My son and I just purchased a field kitchen from the Santa Fe Guard Unit. Complete with alot of new stuff inside. 4 of the 6 burners are new. Keep your eye peeled on NM GL. There are 4 more at the Santa Fe Guard Unit that should go up on GL in the near future. Ours cost $950.
I have 6 deuces. My name is Gary and I'm a deuceaholic.

gbooth

Re: RE: Hello from Kansas City

desertfox said:
I am from KC but have been replanted here in NM. I am sure you will meet my friend Rick if you set up with the MVPS guys. He has an M37 and now a deuce M35A2 W/W. Which he got from me. He also has an M105 trailer.

I know Rick and have seen the truck it is nice. You should come and visit some day.

Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks